xmugen game - Get stuck in & have fun!

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
cifa

xmugen game - Get stuck in & have fun!

Post by cifa »

I’ve always wanted to have a look at xmugen and since I was a BIG fan of Street Fighter 2 Turbo, I finally bit the dust a few weeks ago & got started.

What is mugen?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.G.E.N

For this to work your gonna need:

1. Some working knowledge of xbox/FTP’ing
2. A modified xbox (obviously)
3. F:\ drive <137gb
4. HD Component leads (it's what I use) – this runs at 480p**

I originally downloaded this xmugen build http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbo ... /xmugen-3/ - Credit to NaoEdwin for making and sharing that and I used his work to create this. So thanks to him...I have just re-packaged. I’d also like to thank/credit xXR4V3NXx for his work (which I have used) in getting this to boot perfectly from the F:\drive.

NaoEdwin’s build doesn’t fully work – ChunLi (one of my fav characters) crashes the game (there are a few other issues), so I looked into them, got interested, got hooked and 2+ weeks later with the help of my x2 young lads, fixed things & put something together we are happy with (they love the hidden characters with secret power moves. Lol). I thought I’d share the result with you ;) We have playtested a lot of it but there still could be minor issues with it - let me know & I may take a look ;) but everythign seems to be working great.

The main things I did:

1. Fixed & added or replaced lots of characters (64 visible characters & a good few hidden ;)
2. Added or replaced lots of stages (55 at the last count in the game)
3. Put in a few bonus stages in (untested)
4. Changed some of the controller methods
5. Added a 1gb swap file
6. Added xXR4V3NXx files for easy F:\booting

What to do (easy):

1. Download the rar here: https://mega.co.nz/#!nBdwWLZS!I_xvUS6-o ... CqGE_rphxE (645mb)
2. Extract & FTP that xmugen folder to your F:\Games folder
3. Navigate to your games & run King of Fighters or navigate manually to your F:\Games\xmugen folder & run the default.xbe
4. When you finally get to the F1 screen – depress the (r) thumbstick to progress to the main game.
5. Get stuck in & have fun. That’s what its all about ;)

Heres generally how it looks - but read the disclaimer on the youtube link :D

Cheers
Cifa

**Try this.
If you are using non-HD leads replace the line in the mugenboot.cfg boot file in the root folder of xmugen
From: append root=/dev/ram0 init=/etc/init rw video=xbox:480p kbd-reset To: append root=/dev/ram0 init=/etc/init rw video=xbox:640x480 kbd-reset
Nextelhalo

Re: xmugen game - Get stuck in & have fun!

Post by Nextelhalo »

I'll add to the fun, Xmugen is one the best games EVER for Xbox. I put this one together and the rules to get this to work are the same as above. Only works out of F/Games. The main folder that is extracted is "xmugen", notice all lowercase. This folder goes is F/Games so it should look like F/Games/xmugen. The F drive cannot be custom partition, it's got to be 137GB's or lower to work, BUT, if I remember right it might work on an F paritition as high as 250GB.

Have fun and enjoy, this is EVE Xmugen with around 700 characters and a pretty stable build at that. It's 2.79GB's, also give it time when it first boots up, 700 chars is alot to load along with 300+ stages. Sometimes the screen stays blank for a full minute or so :?

https://mega.co.nz/#!RRsnmKaR!RKU5MUoOQ ... v5Wg7OSQis

Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
cifa

Post by cifa »

Nice one Nextelhalo - I have seen some of your threads elsewhere ;) I probably used some of the characters in your collection in my own build - cheers for that.
Do you know if there is any progress on the multiboot loader in mugen - I have 4 or 5 builds on my HDD but have to rename to get that build to boot. Yours is one of the builds.
Personally I like the less is more approach but EvE has some hilarious characters!
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Man i havent been in the Xmugen scene as much as I used to, even then i never did any real dev work just packaging things up and spreading the love. Xmugen was an obsession for a while but I bought a big boy toy (car) and kinda got away from it. I"m still keeping my eyes open at Emuxtras but there's just so much crap drama surrounding Xmugen these days I almost lost interest. I did some beta testing on the screenpack loader and I have to say I was impressed, especially with one of the background videos they used, it was an old SF tournament from like 95 filmed on VHS, epic video i'll try to find it.

EDIT: here is the background video for one of the skins on the new loader. Amazing to see the moves that Ken pulls off at the end and the crowd reaction is so badass!!!

Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
Debug kit untouched
cifa

Post by cifa »

Nextelhalo wrote:Man i havent been in the Xmugen scene as much as I used to, even then i never did any real dev work just packaging things up and spreading the love. Xmugen was an obsession for a while but I bought a big boy toy (car) and kinda got away from it. I"m still keeping my eyes open at Emuxtras but there's just so much crap drama surrounding Xmugen these days I almost lost interest. I did some beta testing on the screenpack loader and I have to say I was impressed, especially with one of the background videos they used, it was an old SF tournament from like 95 filmed on VHS, epic video i'll try to find it.

EDIT: here is the background video for one of the skins on the new loader. Amazing to see the moves that Ken pulls off at the end and the crowd reaction is so badass!!!
so know what you mean with the political shenanigans with xmugen.
I'm a bit late to the party with xmugen - was always on my radar - but never got there until a few weeks ago :D
great vid - great share - great craic.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Mainly people accusing people of stealing work, trying to sell xmugen, other bickering here and there. Some people that you've probably seen on other forums is actually one person going crazy with different screen names and just stirring shit up ( no proof, just my theory). Just a bunch of stupid crap. It seems to have settled down in the past year though and progress is being made.
Debug kit untouched
Redneck9

Post by Redneck9 »

Nextelhalo wrote:I'll add to the fun, Xmugen is one the best games EVER for Xbox. I put this one together and the rules to get this to work are the same as above. Only works out of F/Games. The main folder that is extracted is "xmugen", notice all lowercase. This folder goes is F/Games so it should look like F/Games/xmugen. The F drive cannot be custom partition, it's got to be 137GB's or lower to work, BUT, if I remember right it might work on an F paritition as high as 250GB.

Have fun and enjoy, this is EVE Xmugen with around 700 characters and a pretty stable build at that. It's 2.79GB's, also give it time when it first boots up, 700 chars is alot to load along with 300+ stages. Sometimes the screen stays blank for a full minute or so :?

Can't get it to launch. File extracts to 6gig. Does it need to be a .zip? Is there another other app or emulator I need to play it?

It's in my F:/Games but shows up as "the king of fighters"

I have 1 s-type connected to port 1 all other ports unused.
infinity8x3

Post by infinity8x3 »

The link never gets past 27% download for me. :(
Got a pit bull?
http://mypitbullpro.com
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

hey redneck, what do you see when it boots up or atleast try's to? For the heck of it try launching it from UnleashX or DVD2XBOX. It will take some time to boot up, once it get's past the linux loader screen it will go blank for a minute or so while it loads the characters and stages. No other emulator is needed, you have it in the correct place. Make sure it's extracted not zipped. Remember the folder layout needs to be just like this..........F/Games/xmugen
@infinity---i'll give it a quick download and see how far i get.
Just gave it a shot and i'm at 33% right now, should be working.
Last edited by Nextelhalo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debug kit untouched
Redneck9

Post by Redneck9 »

Nextelhalo wrote:hey redneck, what do you see when it boots up or atleast try's to? For the heck of it try launching it from UnleashX or DVD2XBOX. It will take some time to boot up, once it get's past the linux loader screen it will go blank for a minute or so while it loads
From both UnleashX and XBMC, I see...

1. A GPL Linux Screen.
2. A silhouette of a man.
3. Then it goes and keeps on going.
4. then I see a black screen, Longest I've kept that up was 5 Minutes and no results.

(IS there a terminal error or something I need to spot?)
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Hmmm, it's going through the right steps for sure. What cables are you using? Component or composite? Yeah if it errors out you'll see it at the loader and it wont go beyond that.
Debug kit untouched
Redneck9

Post by Redneck9 »

Nextelhalo wrote:Hmmm, it's going through the right steps for sure. What cables are you using? Component or composite? Yeah if it errors out you'll see it at the loader and it wont go beyond that.
I've tried it using both types of cables.

It might be slightly encrypted...

I downloaded then renamed the file from "3qqfqchf.mega" to "3qqfqchf.rar" then used 7zip to extract the file. I don't think it's still encrypted in any way.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

I dont know what else it could be to be honest, if you get past the loader (which is where everyone usually get's stuck) it usually boots up after a minute or two. Never seen it go more than two minutes at the blank screen until it boots up. How is your xbox setup? mod/hardware and what not.

That's really weird too, I've never seen the file name 3qqfqchf.mega before. This is almost done downloading so i'll look and see if there is an issue. You were trying EVE right?

Ok so i got a Decryption Error when it finished and it named it to this........BztsFUUeU7.mega. I'm going to extract it and install it to see what i get. I'll let you know here in a few minutes
Ok now i'm really confused, it wouldnt let me edit the filename because it was still being used in Firefox, when i shut down Firefox the file disappeared. I'll try this again. :roll:
Debug kit untouched
Redneck9

Post by Redneck9 »

Nextelhalo wrote:I dont know what else it could be to be honest, if you get past the loader (which is where everyone usually get's stuck) it usually boots up after a minute or two. Never seen it go more than two minutes at the blank screen until it boots up. How is your xbox setup? mod/hardware and what not.

That's really weird too, I've never seen the file name 3qqfqchf.mega before. This is almost done downloading so i'll look and see if there is an issue. You were trying EVE right?

Ok so i got a Decryption Error when it finished and it named it to this........BztsFUUeU7.mega. I'm going to extract it and install it to see what i get. I'll let you know here in a few minutes
Ok now i'm really confused, it wouldnt let me edit the filename because it was still being used in Firefox, when i shut down Firefox the file disappeared. I'll try this again. :roll:
If you are using windows It saves the file to the windows user Ie:"Harvey's" Doccuments>download section(need to click on the windows username don't click documents). Mega-addon Doesn't use the firefox download path.

Xbox is NTSC, softmod, booting to unleashX.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Tried it again and the same thing, named it something crazy. I'm not sure what the deal is but i'm going to try it again at work tomorrow and see what happens. How big is the hard drive on your softmodded xbox? I've seen Xmugen have problems with softmods but then some says it works fine. I've never tested it on an softmodded box with a bigger hard drive, hard mod all the way.
Debug kit untouched
Redneck9

Post by Redneck9 »

Nextelhalo wrote:Tried it again and the same thing, named it something crazy. I'm not sure what the deal is but i'm going to try it again at work tomorrow and see what happens. How big is the hard drive on your softmodded xbox? I've seen Xmugen have problems with softmods but then some says it works fine. I've never tested it on an softmodded box with a bigger hard drive, hard mod all the way.
It's 160gb.

To be honest, I just wanted to be Ronald Mcdonald and Homer Simpson.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

haha, classic matchup for sure. I'll try the battle coliseum build to see if that downloads ok, i know it's got home but cant remember if Ronald is in there.
Debug kit untouched
xman

Post by xman »

Nextelhalo wrote:haha, classic matchup for sure. I'll try the battle coliseum build to see if that downloads ok, i know it's got home but cant remember if Ronald is in there.
Ronald McDonald is busy running my country at the moment, the red headed fool she is.
asbo

Post by asbo »

Politics :D
At least your country running clown looks like one!
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

I havent had time to re-upload those builds yet, i know that they (and more) are hosted at Emuxtras in they're server.
Debug kit untouched