Original X-Box DVD remote on RPi?

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
LudviG

Original X-Box DVD remote on RPi?

Post by LudviG »

I am pretty sure i read somewhere about someone got the original X-Box remote to work with a RPi. I would really like to make this work with OpenElec. Is this possible?
Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
whufclee

Re: Original X-Box DVD remote on RPi?

Post by whufclee »

Yes if you read the "aye aye raspberry pi" thread you'll find a link to the wiki on how to do it. My soldering sucks balls so I completely screwed it up but xman has given some tips so I'll try again soon.
xman

Post by xman »

If you can get me some details on how the PI actually responds to the receiver as in the plug pinout on the PI board you hack into with the receiver, I'm sure I can get something working preferably RF because IR suks. I have no PI and know nothing of it but remote control, that I do know. ;)
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

whufclee wrote:Yes if you read the "aye aye raspberry pi" thread you'll find a link to the wiki on how to do it. My soldering sucks balls so I completely screwed it up but xman has given some tips so I'll try again soon.
I did miss that somehow. I was looking at this guide:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HO ... te_for_USB

But i got 2 questions.Can i use my old x-box to pc cable. It has usb male at one end, and a female that fits the xbox controller.
Do i need any of those scripts on OpenElec?
Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
asbo

Post by asbo »

LudviG wrote:Can i use my old x-box to pc cable. It has usb male at one end, and a female that fits the xbox controller.
You should be able to.
xman

Post by xman »

I'm just curious, seeing as the PI activity is so high and current why no one hasn't re-written the USB specs on the PI operating system to suit that of the of the 360 and then you have access to all the cheap RF 360 controllers and remotes and an ON / OFF on board function?. The 360 also has receivers with a USB plug for P.C. use. Seems the logical way to go to me.
asbo

Post by asbo »

I'd have thought those 360 PC receivers do work? I've not got a RPi but popular things like that tend to just work on most operating systems.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

xman wrote:I'm just curious, seeing as the PI activity is so high and current why no one hasn't re-written the USB specs on the PI operating system to suit that of the of the 360 and then you have access to all the cheap RF 360 controllers and remotes and an ON / OFF on board function?. The 360 also has receivers with a USB plug for P.C. use. Seems the logical way to go to me.
Guess that would be great, havent found any info that it does work though. And i still want to use my old xbox 1 remote, cause the misses wants it. She scared of new technology :P

I was also thinking og getting a reciever of some kind and try to use my harmony one remote.
grimlok

Post by grimlok »

The only device I've ever had to configure is the xbox dvd dongle and remote, everything else works outta the box, OpenELEC, XBMCbuntu, RPi.
STR (Suspend to ram) works aslong as the mobo supports wake from suspend via USB, and USB on standby so the dongle is always awake to page the system.
This doesn't work for the xbox dongle, this is a hardware limitation of the dongle itself. The MCE ehome reciever with the xbox remote will wake it just fine.

CEC-HDMI floats my boat on my Pi, and my xbmc servery thingy for WAF.
I think XBMC frodo supports it accross all platforms, My RPi and XBMCbuntu server build both support it.
I'm pretty sure Kinect Motion detection interfacing is being worked on and ported. :ugeek:

The remote control daemon in buntu/OpenELE is lirc.

Xbox DVD dongle support has never been in lirc AFAIK. And eventho XBMC ships with lirc all ready set up in the kernal. I've found the quickest and easiest way to do it is compile lirc from scratch outside the kernal with the dongle's usb driver, edit the lircd.conf to use the dongle, keymap.xml to read the RC6 outta the remote, and lastly keyboard.xml to restore XBMC4Xbox style volume control. Oh and editing lirc.d I think that's it.

It's about 5mins work in a terminal session.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

All i had to do to get my Xbox DVD dongle up and running on OpenELEC 2.95.6 is this: https://blog.slucas.fr/en/tips/raspberr ... box-dongle
I will post more detail about my cable later today or tomorow, busy now ^^.
PrimusZa1

Post by PrimusZa1 »

grimlok wrote:The only device I've ever had to configure is the xbox dvd dongle and remote, everything else works outta the box, OpenELEC, XBMCbuntu, RPi.
STR (Suspend to ram) works aslong as the mobo supports wake from suspend via USB, and USB on standby so the dongle is always awake to page the system.
This doesn't work for the xbox dongle, this is a hardware limitation of the dongle itself. The MCE ehome reciever with the xbox remote will wake it just fine.

CEC-HDMI floats my boat on my Pi, and my xbmc servery thingy for WAF.
I think XBMC frodo supports it accross all platforms, My RPi and XBMCbuntu server build both support it.
I'm pretty sure Kinect Motion detection interfacing is being worked on and ported. :ugeek:

The remote control daemon in buntu/OpenELE is lirc.

Xbox DVD dongle support has never been in lirc AFAIK. And eventho XBMC ships with lirc all ready set up in the kernal. I've found the quickest and easiest way to do it is compile lirc from scratch outside the kernal with the dongle's usb driver, edit the lircd.conf to use the dongle, keymap.xml to read the RC6 outta the remote, and lastly keyboard.xml to restore XBMC4Xbox style volume control. Oh and editing lirc.d I think that's it.

It's about 5mins work in a terminal session.
Grimlok, are you saying that the xbox 1 remote and a MCE receiver work just fine with the PI or am I reading into that to much? I use that combo on 2 Acer Revo 3610s and it works fine. I don't rally want to cannibalize a good DVD dongle.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

Here's my cable. Well, thats what i will use until i get a proper IR receiver diode to connect straight to the GPIO.
This setup is causing me a little issue. My Xbox got a X3IR, so it get switched ON when i press Select or Display lol.
(No i wont reprogram anything as this is temporary. ^^)

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Looks interesting :)

I have ordered myself a MS remote. For the time being i am using the yatse app on my pad and phone. It works like a charm.
grimlok

Post by grimlok »

PrimusZa1 wrote: Grimlok, are you saying that the xbox 1 remote and a MCE receiver work just fine with the PI or am I reading into that to much? I use that combo on 2 Acer Revo 3610s and it works fine. I don't rally want to cannibalize a good DVD dongle.
Yeah.
Set it up exactly the same as you do on the revos in buntu or openELE.
Badda bing, badda bang, badda boom! Pretty much exactly what is in Phaze's linky.
I've not used exactly that way to do it. But same lircd.conf, same dongle, same result (I'm still sitting on the sofa)
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

Just got my xbox ir dongle working too using a usb adapter by following the method posted by Xphazer here

BUT I wanted to re-map a few keys like 3 & 6 as volume up/down and 0 as queue to playlist,
it was kind of unclear what to edit when I started my search but in the end I managed to figure it out

First I highly recommend installing the nano text editor to make life easier when editing text files over ssh

To install this add-on you must do so from the Add-on Manager from within XBMC by going to:
Settings
Add-ons
Get add-ons
OpenELEC Mediacenter OS Add-ons
Program Add-ons
Add-on:nano
Install

Now you can start to add the custom keymap

1)Login to openelec as root over ssh (for info on this see here http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... use_SSH.3F)

2)Now you need to copy the Lircmap.xml from the read-only system to the xbmc userdata folder with the following command

Code: Select all

cp  /usr/share/xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml /storage/.xbmc/userdata
3) Now you can edit this Lircmap.xml with nano, it will be loaded from this location when xbmc starts so you dont need to move it back to its original location.

nano /storage/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml
use the arrows on your keyboard to scroll down to the section <remote device="XboxDVDDongle">
You can now edit the functions between the <> brackets, you can substitute any xbmc actions they are listed here
for example I set <volumeplus>3</volumeplus> and <volumeminus>6</volumeminus> the actions in the xbmc wiki start with upper case but work as lowercase in openelec

Once you have edited the buttons to the functions you want in nano you need to write the changes with Ctrl+o (that's letter o not zero)
then you can exit nano with Ctrl+x

The changes you make should take effect immediately and work right away, but if they don't try to restart the Pi with reboot
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Thanks kozz, can't wait to try this out.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Kozz wrote:Just got my xbox ir dongle working too using a usb adapter by following the method posted by Xphazer here

BUT I wanted to re-map a few keys like 3 & 6 as volume up/down and 0 as queue to playlist,
it was kind of unclear what to edit when I started my search but in the end I managed to figure it out

First I highly recommend installing the nano text editor to make life easier when editing text files over ssh

To install this add-on you must do so from the Add-on Manager from within XBMC by going to:
Settings
Add-ons
Get add-ons
OpenELEC Mediacenter OS Add-ons
Program Add-ons
Add-on:nano
Install

Now you can start to add the custom keymap

1)Login to openelec as root over ssh (for info on this see here http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... use_SSH.3F)

2)Now you need to copy the Lircmap.xml from the read-only system to the xbmc userdata folder with the following command

cp  /usr/share/xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml /storage/.xbmc/userdata
3) Now you can edit this Lircmap.xml with nano, it will be loaded from this location when xbmc starts so you dont need to move it back to its original location.

nano /storage/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml
use the arrows on your keyboard to scroll down to the section <remote device="XboxDVDDongle">
You can now edit the functions between the <> brackets, you can substitute any xbmc actions they are listed here
for example I set <volumeplus>3</volumeplus> and <volumeminus>6</volumeminus> the actions in the xbmc wiki start with upper case but work as lowercase in openelec

Once you have edited the buttons to the functions you want in nano you need to write the changes with Ctrl+o (that's letter o not zero)
then you can exit nano with Ctrl+x

The changes you make should take effect immediately and work right away, but if they don't try to restart the Pi with reboot
I did this with the RPi i have set up at work, and it worked straight away. But now i tried it at home. I got the same remote, IR eye and cable i used at work, but i get no reaction from the remote at all. Any ideas?
grimlok

Post by grimlok »

I've always used a slightly different set up, but almost identical conf files.
I don't know if this will make any difference in this case, but I've always blacklisted the xpad driver (Controller driver) so the dongle driver has it all to itselfs.

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Down the bottom add the following...

blacklist xpad
blacklist.PNG
[ctrl^o] to write it out, etc.

Again, Use at your own risk, I build lirc as a daemon with JUST the xbox drivers, The confs all look the same.
I also use a custom keymap so that my volume buttons only work on full screen vid but in the media browser window, it reverts to the sms "jump" style shortcuts.
This could be extended to include the views for full screen music OSD, Menu, etc but I'm lazy.

<keymap>
	<fullscreenvideo>
	<remote>
		<zero>Screenshot</zero>
		<three>VolumeUp</three>
		<six>VolumeDown</six>
		<nine>Mute</nine>
	</remote>
	</fullscreenvideo>
</keymap>
:geek:
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Could someone post the whole xbox dvd dongle part of the lirc file? I screwed it up trying to edit it via ssh on my asus transformer. I could not get norwegian keyboardsetup, so it got wrong and somehow it seemed to be saved even though i closed the connection.
EFORCE

Post by EFORCE »

Since the XBOX remote works out of the box on RASPBMC and I am a lazy guy, I searched for a XBOX to USB cable and found one for 2.95 euro excl shipping.
Bought one and it works perfectly..... Plug and play
http://www.tradekantoor.eu/shop/default ... _id=280104