Apple boys?

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
Geeba

Apple boys?

Post by Geeba »

Apple tech question....

Not being much of an apple fan... I gave up after my iPad/iPod technically became doorwedges overnight as apple refused to update them... but anyways...

I bought a couple of phones from a police lost/found unclaimed auction... one an iphone 4s is of course looked and deactivated... I thought I might be able to factory reset the phone via iTunes... but everytime it goes into recovery the phone reboots before the download/upgrade has finished and goes back to being locked... is there anything I can do or have I increased my doorwedge collection? :shock:
Geeba

Re: Apple boys?

Post by Geeba »

Sussed the iPhone..... iCloud locked.... doorwedge I guess.... seems the original owner was visiting here from Brazil 2 years ago... its sat in lost property since....
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

My mate worked in a Vodafone repair shop and when he got one of these he swapped the imie number from a water damaged phone that was non repairable on to that phone to unlock it and make one good from the two.

I'm quite sure it is not so legal to do so, and I'm not to sure how he did it and if you can even do it with modern phones as this was a few phone series back when he was working there.
xman

Post by xman »

Geeba wrote:Apple tech question....

Not being much of an apple fan... I gave up after my iPad/iPod technically became doorwedges overnight as apple refused to update them... but anyways...

I bought a couple of phones from a police lost/found unclaimed auction... one an iphone 4s is of course looked and deactivated... I thought I might be able to factory reset the phone via iTunes... but everytime it goes into recovery the phone reboots before the download/upgrade has finished and goes back to being locked... is there anything I can do or have I increased my doorwedge collection? :shock:
Contact the FBI helpline maybe. :lol: :lol: :lol:
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

Can they be jailbroken? im still using my jailbroken 3gs and ipad 1 lol

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Geeba wrote:Apple tech question....

Why are they useless? Are there certain things you need that aren't supported anymore?

My mother uses this ancient IPhone that is the version like right before they came with SIRI and it works like a charm (aside from the fact the power button has failed)
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
professor_jonny

It is all to do with arm chipset used in these devices, if you build an app for an arm 7 device it has new op codes and instructions that an arm4 device wont run for example.

As all the apple dev tools by default build for newer devices it obsoletes older hardware as they cant run the apps.

Most devs just build an app and don't bother to have a separate app for old devices or don't realise they have to build it specifically for an old device.

Apple also pull apps from the store when they deem fit and don't tell any one so you cant buy or download them (try to find a clickwheel game for an old ipod for example)
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Hmmmm I thought it was more iOS related.... my motorola Xoom still runs the latest BBC iPlayer just fine and is the same age as a gen 1 iPad and probably has a less compatable CPU the Tegra 2.... yet the iPad and iPod wont even install the app, And thats the same for everything from Angry birds to TV Catchup "Your version of iOS is not supported" is the error.
professor_jonny

Geeba wrote:Hmmmm I thought it was more iOS related.... my motorola Xoom still runs the latest BBC iPlayer just fine and is the same age as a gen 1 iPad and probably has a less compatable CPU the Tegra 2.... yet the iPad and iPod wont even install the app, And thats the same for everything from Angry birds to TV Catchup "Your version of iOS is not supported" is the error.
That also comes down to the hardware restricting the ability to update the os as they did not build the os for the older hardware as it is most likely optimised for the new arm device it has inside and apps require new features of the os to be able to work.

Apple cant really say your device is too old buy a new one when you try to install an app :-)
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

"Apple cant really say your device is too old buy a new one when you try to install an app"

Hmmmmm.... you sure about that? ;)

Apple want you to buy a new device every year! thats why they stop iOS upgrades for older kit.

Aparently iPad 2 has already had features removed so its days are numbered yet they still sold the iPad mini with the same specs way after the iPad 2 finished, iPad 3 is next in line... iPad 1 is close to a useless device now.. if you default it you're stuffed, you cant re-download the apps. IMO these devices cant slow down as much as they do without some sneaky coding so eventually you're forced to buy a new one as you've invested into the church! :lol: