Android tablet?

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
Geeba

Android tablet?

Post by Geeba »

Hello guys,

I was stuck deciding on a new tablet so just thought I'd ask what people have on here...

I've always bough reasonably cheap tablets, Hisense 8" and Refurb'd Nexus 7 are my current drivers, but I was thinking of something a little more high end for my next one... I got some cash for a few jobs I'd done... so nows the time really 8-)

I was thinking Pixel C from google as they've just released a discount code https://pixel.google.com/developer-discount/ - it gets great reviews but the lack of SD card is starting to grate on me a bit with google/nexus devices.

Next was Sony Z4... nice but has it had its day? almost a year old now.... and I know Sony arent the first to the plate with updates...

High end Samsung maybe?

Surface Pro 4 would be nice but dam that things expensive!

No iPads.. I gave up with them after iPad 1, which is now absolutely useless, and I dont like iTunes....

Just wondered what you thought?
fxmech

Re: Android tablet?

Post by fxmech »

Samsung SM320 Tab Pro 8.4". 5/5 stars, great tablet. Officially supported CM device it turns out! That means plenty of software options and updates down the road for years to come. Great features, performance, decent battery, bells and whistles like the IR blaster, material construction (I. E. the faux leather), at a relatively affordable price for most people. It is a mid-priced 1-2 year old market. I bought mine for about $250 US a year and a half ago.
xman

Post by xman »

Not an expert on the tablets but what I can say is what I like and what I don't like. I have a Tab S 10.5 and two Tab 3 10.1. Both charge on 5vDc USB. All are 16gb but all also take another SD card. I use 64GB SD cards as the "other" SD card in all the tablets. Much cheaper than buying a 64GB unit. I run all with Blue Tooth controllers for navigating Kodi and blue tooth keyboards for most other uses. All these tablets have shit sound so I use Blue Tooth for the sound out as well. Both units have "On The Go" ports which allows you to plug in HDMI out, USB, charging and another SD card slot. The USB can support a hub, a USB thumbstick or a USB HDD. I use the USB from the adapter for a 2TB USB HDD myself. Some Samsung OTG ports are only 5 pin and cannot support all these at once. Both of my units are the 13 pin variety and are able to do all the OTG plug can support at once. My son's Sony phone also uses this same 13 pin OTG port. Battery life is over 9 hours watching movies. I can't comment on anything else as this is mainly what I use the devices for. The machines are bog standard, I have never had a need to mod them , just bought a few attachments for them to make them more useful for my purpose.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Cheers fellas!

Yeah the Samsung's do keep appearing when I start looking... :? seem to have a bit of everything going for them.

I'm starting to wonder now if me and my boys would get more fun out of a new TV in spare room... for the same price as the tablet I can get a 50" 4K TV - not an all singing and dancing Samsung or Sony, but a pretty good one.... my eldest son is just starting to get into consoles and we currently have a pretty old 30" LCD TV in there...

Awwwwww decisions... :?
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Dropped the cash on a Pixel C - the 25% discount code twisted my arm..... really really nice bit of kit! pleased overall.... not sure I should be spending that much dosh when I've got the house in bits... but hey ho! it cant all be building materials!
asbo

Post by asbo »

"It's only money" is what I usually say :lol:
xman

Post by xman »

Geeba wrote:Dropped the cash on a Pixel C - the 25% discount code twisted my arm..... really really nice bit of kit! pleased overall.... not sure I should be spending that much dosh when I've got the house in bits... but hey ho! it cant all be building materials!
Good approach, get the family's faces in a screen and out of the man's way so he can do some work. Why has my family got so many Xboxes, consoles, T.V.s and tablets?. :D
Because I learnt this approach a long time ago. :lol:
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

LOL! yeah never thought of it that way :lol: I get peace and quiet whilst they look at youtube! - could try it for the pub run too! ;)