xbox 'hard' shutdown

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
foxinabox

xbox 'hard' shutdown

Post by foxinabox »

I've found no answer to this.

During gameplay I always IGR back to xbmc for a....I guess...'proper' shutdown, fearing any harm to my data should I make a habit of just pressing the power button instead.

Is my concern valid? Is there *any* risk involved in impatiently going for that button every time? After hundreds of times? Thousands?
xman

Re: xbox 'hard' shutdown

Post by xman »

The only thing you risk is your game data itself as in what you are up to should you be in a game at the time of power off. In XBMC nothing will happen other than the machine not knowing what part of a movie for example it was up to. Remember, in the Xbox stock configuration, there is an auto turn off feature. If it was harmful in any way to the machine this feature would not be there would it?. I often pull the line cord out of the wall to kill a machine. Doing this may sound brutal but it is nothing compared to what happens when the power suddenly goes out when there is a power failure in the area when voltages usually spike just before the power goes out.
RoyalX

Post by RoyalX »

Think about it!
Before the XBOX was modded you had to press the power button to change games or to turn the XBOX off.
Microsoft made it for this purpose.
So there is no harm in this for the mobo.

I know from my computer classes back in the days that a soft reboot is better then a hard reset for the PC.
So I was also concerned about the XBOX. But I think MS did their research and it worked well.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

the file system is quite robust and cache drives are used for in game data as it caches all daya to x y and z drive so the risk of dammaging c, e, f or g is quite low if you turn the xbox off while playing a game.

in theory the ondisk partition table setup in new bioses is less resiliant as one could wipe it and loose a drive as the partition map is not hard coded in bios, but it is unlikely that is going to happen as most drives detect the loss in power and dumps the cache voltage goes low so you will just loose the last change to the disk.

the standard drives to have a disk buffer but i guess when a game is being saved to disk it will not use the cache who knows?