Xbox 360 Falcon

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
Sychose

Xbox 360 Falcon

Post by Sychose »

Hi fellas,

I have a brand new Falcon Xbox 360 (Checked the lot # and it's 14.2A rated).
I'm thinking to get it JTAG'ged, I will do that myself as I did it a few times in the past for friends and it's a very easy job lol.

I know the best phat model is Jasper but will the Falcon be any good in the long run, I will replace the thermal paste before using it and increase the fan speeds through FSD or DashLaunch once the JTAG mod is done.

I am asking this as I never had a RRoD myself, but I have a friend who had a Falcon and it died after a year...

What are the normal temps that it should be running? (Especially the GPU), I know that I can move the DVD drive to an external solution like the TX X-Drive to make the GPU run cooler but I haven't seen concrete results specifically for the Falcon.

Many thanks.
bigkidoz

Re: Xbox 360 Falcon

Post by bigkidoz »

Falcons are fine, i've done a few jtag and rgh falcons and never had an rrod or overheat.
By new do you mean a 2008 built machine thats never been used ? If its never been used then you can jtag it otherwise you will need to RGH it or R-jtag it.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I have a Zephyr if you want my temps. Mine has a 12V fan mod.
Sychose

Post by Sychose »

Yeah, it's a brand new one, never opened, I actually have two of these, 2008 Falcons so they are JTAG compatible. I am actually thinking to sell them and RGH a spare Trinity that I have. I have the CR4 XL for that.
Kevin G.

Post by Kevin G. »

I have 3 360's and possibly a fourth, on the way. What could I gain by JTAG-ing one of them? I know there is no working XBMC for a hacked 360...so what's the draw? Other than running in to cheaters and glitchers on LIVE...I've seen no other use.
I understand you can also get banned from LIVE for it, and I enjoy gaming too much to have that happen. Any insight?
Sychose

Post by Sychose »

It's for emulators mainly and playing region locked games. When you have a JTAG / RGH console, forget the Xbox Live... You'd banned instantly.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

You can do things like dual nand and basically run the Xbox in a Live safe mode, in addition to the glitch mode.
asbo

Post by asbo »

On my Falcon I removed the DVD drive and replaced the GPU heatsink with a CPU one. You'll need to either modify the fan shroud or make a new one. I then ran everything off the hard drive or my server.
Note that chances are the CPU heatsink inside will be an all aluminium one, move this over to the GPU and get a copper one for the CPU. Unfortunately the copper type doesn't have a big enough flat surface on the bottom to cover the DRAM and CPU/GPU surfaces on the GPU chip.
Sychose

Post by Sychose »

To be honest, I want to keep it inside as I don't want to move the disc drive.
It probably has the 2nd gen heatsink for the GPU, I am thinking to get the XCM Core Cooler V2, the 2nd fan should be on top of the GPU extended heatsink, so that should help cooling it down. I would also increase the fan speeds through FSD or DashLaunch, I am not sure if the new Aurora does it?

Any idea about the ideal temps for a Falcon?

Cheers
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Aurora doesn't. Use DashLaunch to modify it. But you can put 12V on the fan and you're good to go. It's very noisy but might be a good solution until you find a better one.

I heard that a partition in the air duct, presumably between the individual fans, helps decrease turbulence and increase airflow.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

fxmech wrote:Aurora doesn't. Use DashLaunch to modify it. But you can put 12V on the fan and you're good to go. It's very noisy but might be a good solution until you find a better one.

I heard that a partition in the air duct, presumably between the individual fans, helps decrease turbulence and increase airflow.
I tried the partition and i dont reckon it works, i add a small fan to the GPU heat pipe heatsink and use adhesive aluminium tape to seal the edges of the duct over the heatsinks so it draws thru better.
I'd keep one of the falcons as jtag's boot instantly where as RGH's are slower and sometimes up to a minute, i also wind the fan speed up a little in FSD.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

On some they have independent software control for the cpu and gpu and the partition does not work too well because of this,
the best way is to edit the temps in the smc so it ramps the fan on eariler in the heat range.
you can do this for the retail image too if you like I have not had a ban form any of mine doing this I have done this to a xenon and it has made it this far no issuies.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Soo, what shall we play on LiNK, gentlemen?