Just a few words...

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
CapedCrusader

Just a few words...

Post by CapedCrusader »

Hi everyone!

I haven't been active on the forum for a while and I would just like to say what's up :)

Firstly, it's a great pity that the old forum vanished, thousands of precious posts, including around 300 of my own (ok, mine weren't so precious, questions mostly :) ) disappeared :( But, accidents happen, as far as I understand the loss is irreversible, correct me if I'm wrong.

For the last couple of months, I have been mostly a peeping tom to the forum for a couple of reasons, let me list them:

1. A few months ago I accidentaly bricked my 2TB HDD (dropped it) which had been sitting in the Xbox for about a year and contained months of collecting media and installing various software. Now I only have an old 80 GB HDD inside, and use it more to tamper with the Xbox than for anything serious. I am planning to get a new 2TB, mostly having in mind emulators this time. About collecting media - I will see.

2. I have begun to enjoy watching movies in 1080p. As my Samsung TV has the network-playing feature of almost all mkv files, and handles full HD really well, I use it to watch movies now. Without any library mode of course.

3. I have got into serious retro gaming, i.e. during the last couple of months I have bought an Atari 130XE, a Commodore 64 and 2 Amigas - 500 and 600. All of them are modded and equipped with some extra stuff. Playing with and on them takes a lot of time.

4. I am thinking of getting some modern and compact HTPC which could handle all movie formats and run XBMC. I was thinking about Raspberry, but when I finally got my code to purchase, I resigned. It had already been to expensive (about $75 altogether) and I also read it does not take all HD codecs.

All of the above do not exclude the Xbox, I still love the machine, and I'm gonna use it for emulators and, to a smaller extent than before, media.

Thanks to you guys on the forum, I have acquired tremendous dose of experience and knowledge considering the Xbox. I'm glad to see that a lot is still happening here and I go through new posts regularly. I won't probably be as active here as I used to, but who knows :)

Thanks and greetings to all,
Bart

PS: And, of course, special appreciation, gratitude and respect to BuZz for keeping XBMC4XBOX going. Thank you!
Last edited by CapedCrusader on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xman

Re: Just a few words...

Post by xman »

Shame about your 2Tb. I did that with a brand new 500Gb and wanted someone nearby to take it out on. :shock: Doesn't cost anything to post every now and then Bart so hope you look in every now and then. I think this site will be around for some time yet because there are just so many of these things around and new people coming across them and finding what they can actually do. Although you may not use it for as much media as you did, there are so many other uses that the machine just does so well. Music videos and mp3 are what I us them for most as I don't watch many movies anyway but my kids and wife use them mainly for movies. This site is just a good place to have a chat with all types of people whether you run an Xbox or not. I know I have learnt so much and most has had nothing to do with Xboxes and I usually get a good laugh out of it to. The xbox is merely the excuse to have the forum. Maybe talking would suit you better. In time that may happen. ;)
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Hello!

Yep I did the same with a brand new 1Tb drive... I was gutted... it had sat there for ages... waiting for me to do something with it... knocked it off my desk... all I got was the 'clonk of death!' when I tried it :(

Have you installed Coinops? that is a great emulator... I only have the older version but I think newer releases emulates alot of retro stuff!
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

i know the pi is the hype of the moment have you considered the Android Console the ouya as a mmpc retro gaming type setup?
http://blog.gadgethelpline.com/wp-conte ... 50x294.jpg
it is said to run xbmc and andriod apps.

i think it will be a battle between the pi and the ouya in time but who knows something might come out next week ?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Thanks for the kind words. Of course, it is a real community effort. maybe short on core devs, but we are very fortunate to have many others helping with scripts and skins. Thanks though :)
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

BuZz wrote: maybe short on core devs
You mean the one core dev we have :lol:
CapedCrusader

Post by CapedCrusader »

@Geeba

Yes, I'm using Coinops4, and it is indeed awesome! Coinops alone is a great reason to have the Xbox. Also, the emulators from EmuXtras are amazing, fortunately I had a backup of them on my PC as they have already disappeared form the web for some reason (games, artwork and movies, that is); but I have no HDD space to install them on the box at the moment.

@BuZz

You're right, so - thanks to you and everybody who's contributed in any way :)

@ professor_jonny

It's the first time I've seen the Ouya, looks really nice. I've noticed there are more and more mini computers available.