question about downloading

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
scroeffie

question about downloading

Post by scroeffie »

lets say when i watched a movie at a friends house that he payed for than i go home and write a book about the movie is that illegal ??
because not be sarcastic my brain is alsow a recording device so when i close my eyes i can see the movie so when i write a book about it and sell it
or share it like a share website arr arr matey is that elligal ??
same with food clothing cars i can make a replicca of a farrari but name it difrent but make evry thing 100% the same and sell or give it for free is that elligal ???
my problem is i live in the netherlands i willing to pay for conntent but not old conntent i want my movies and tv shows not to be older than 1 week max us en uk get it first thats fine the next week the rest of europa
most of my friends have netflix and most of them are going to stop the abo because the content is to old and you have to wait to long not worth it when it comes free on tv normal cable tv in hd
bigkidoz

Re: question about downloading

Post by bigkidoz »

I dont think this is the correct place to be discussing what is essentially an illegal act, leave that for the pub.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Hold on a minute, he's posing a philosophical question about the extent of property rights.

Scruff, the basic answer is that society at large has pondered such issues ad neuseam and decided that, in general, the rights lie with the originator to decide what happens with their product or invention. It's usually enshrined in national laws. But that doesn't stop abuse/theft of those rights. As you say counterfeiting is relatively common, especially in China, where property laws (and enforcement of them) are relatively weak.

Regarding your question about publishing a book about a film, I'd be extremely surprised if you were to find you are granted rights (by default or expressed permission) to do that by the originator,* so you'd be opening yourself up to potential legal action - IANAL nor an expert in Dutch law.

* have a read of Wikipedia pages about copyright, copyleft, creative commons, etc...
xman

Post by xman »

Not to mention "plagiarism" with regards to a book. Not wanting to open up a can of worms here or upset BuZz because after all, it is Buzz's head on the chopping block with regards to illegal activities this forum may or may not have but out here in Australia our high court came to the conclusion that on hiring a DVD movie from a video shop, not that there are many left out here now, the owner of the store has paid the copy rights on that said movie and you as a hirer has in turn paid your portion of that copy right and therefore has the right to copy that DVD in any format that is convenient for you to view at a later date without compromising copy right laws. I thought that was a good judgement myself. It also states you are not to profit form the material. My question is when the DVD shop owner has made his approximately $180 he pays for the original disc he has originally paid for the right to hire the copy righted material and the distributor has received his money, what stops the hirer from putting his copy of that material on the net on a non profit location? Legally he has paid for the copy right and it is his to hire but he has decided to distribute without profit. These problems seldom come up in the VHS days. :lol: