Broken DAB radio lcd screen - any chance of repair?

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
dan.h

Broken DAB radio lcd screen - any chance of repair?

Post by dan.h »

Hi guys, I've got a question I'm hoping one of the more knowledgeable people on here could help with.

I cracked the lcd screen on my Pure Elite DAB digitial ratio - this is how it should look

I've taken the radio apart and can see how the screen is mounted off the circuit board. Googling the numbers on the back of the screen don't help, I'm assuming those numbers are reffering to the screen with the white mounting (so some internal SKU code). I'd need to take the screen completely off to be able to check fif there is a more specific number.

Before I do that and cause any (more!) irreversible damage, can anyone suggest whether the screen would be a easy to find replacement? I'm assuming not since its not a generic screen and has specific symbols to display.

Cheers
mrmajikbus45

Re: Broken DAB radio lcd screen - any chance of repair?

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

I wish that I could see under that QC sticker.

I can normally find all kinds of parts. This one eludes me.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

you want to look on panishop or tobago (china) for the part numbers on the lcd screen it is your best bet at finding one.

but if it is not dotmatrix it would be impossible to find one as they are possibly custom made for the manufacturer.
xman

Post by xman »

I'd be cutting those leads going across to the screen from the board and have a good look at it, let's face it, it not working now anyway. Take off that sticker and see if the LCD housing itself can be broken down but don't break it. I suspect the housing itself will be a custom but the display inside will just be a ready available. I suspect the numbers on the outside are all related to the display module, not the display itself. However, inside the housing on the back of the LCD itself will be the numbers your after. Providing you don't butcher the leads or the housing, once you replace the LCD, you should be good to just resolder the leads where you cut them.
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

Thanks very much for the responses guys,

I'm suspecting this isnt a standard dotmatrix screen as the symbols on the top of the screen (battery life, signal strength etc.) dont look they're made up of small dots. Xman, I tried doing what you suggested but unfortunately there are no additional part numbers on the back of the lcd underneath the white housing.

My fix is going to be to keep an eye on eBay for either a replacement or hopefully one that is being sold as spares, then take out what I need.