dd-wrt routers

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
nidge

dd-wrt routers

Post by nidge »

Hi, I've been searching for info on dd-wrt, as I have a few old routers sitting here doing nothing ;)
They are mainly BT ones, would dd-wrt work with these? What would be the advantages?
I thought if I could make them work as wireless recievers, they could be used on an xbox, is this even possible?

Any thoughts guys :)
http://www.theoriginalxboxshoppe.weebly.com
http://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/Computers-and-Consoles

Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 500gb sata hard disk, 1ghz CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p, blue LED's.
Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 320gb sata hard disk, stock CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p.
Xphazer

Re: dd-wrt routers

Post by Xphazer »

If the router is not on the support list, then it's not possible. http://www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
Personally I don't like DD-WRT, it's far from being a nice community and extremely far from being up-to-date. I'm using OpenWRT on my main router.
But anyway, you better go with DD-WRT for a client bridge, it will probably be a lot easier.
If you want anymore info we'll need the exact model number and revision of the router you have.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Personally I don't mind DD-WRT. I never played with OpenWRT or Tomato either, so YMMV.

I use a Linksys WRT54G using DD-WRT as a bridge in the kids bedroom. Works well enough that they can stream stuff, and it also takes the strain off of the PS3's wireless card. Works perfectly fine with the XBox.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Xphazer wrote:Personally I don't like DD-WRT, it's far from being a nice community and extremely far from being up-to-date. I'm using OpenWRT on my main router.
I'm a user, have been for many years. I agree on both of those counts, but I've never bothered to change primarily because i) I'm familiar with it, and ii) it works for my use cases - one of which is as a client bridge for an X80X.
Perhaps I should look at OpenWRT again.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

+1 for OpenWRT.

My router with it runs an IPV6 tunnel, radvd, OpenVPN, and a whole load of other things. Love the fact it's a really nicely laid out/thought out Linux system, with a modular GUI, installable packages, and a modern Kernel.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I personally use a KingKong DD-WRT on my Linksys E4200v1. It's a loaded distro with OpenVPN, VLAN, Samba, ... and a cleaned up and mostly bugfree WebGUI to boot.
My Linksys N160. Gave that to my mom... Otherwise my recently fried Buffalo HP-G54 was the only thing left running DD-WRT. Flashed Tomato to everything else.

Everything else has Tomato that I own. Really nice WebGUI. Optware support, etc. This includes;
Linksys E2000, (3X) Belkin ShareMax 300

Ran a PC with Zentyal on it for about 6 months and had some fun, too.

OpenWRT I have never tried. I will look into it since I've got so many laying about.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

OpenWRT is winning today in the category "whose website works?".

Given up trying to load the DD-WRT site.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Yeah, tomato USB's site was OK when I was learning. So far as im concerned ddwrt is a site I just Google. No bother even trying to browse the info there to get a straightforward solution.
asbo

Post by asbo »

nidge wrote:They are mainly BT ones, would dd-wrt work with these?
Chances are they're adsl routers? in which case dd-wrt etc won't work on them. They're essentially useless junk, and yet I hoard them too :lol:
This list says there is a project called RouterTech that supports adsl routers so maybe that'll work.
nidge

Post by nidge »

Lots of info guys, thanks :) not sure what to with it all though ;)
The first router I have here, that the leds light up on anyway... :roll: is a BT Voyager 2091, it is ASDL as asbo suspected.
I have reset the the onboard software to factory default, firmware can be upload from the PC.
It is wireless, has 1 ethernet port, 1 usb port and 1 dsl port. Is it worth doing anything with?

Another router I have is my old Virgin media cable one, a netgear Wireless-N 300 (WNR2000), fully boxed as new.
Actualy reading on the box it says "configurable as a wireless repeater for extending wireless range"? I will have to have a read up on that one ;)

I'll see what else is in these boxes of stuff :lol:

Just found a serial splitter box 8-)

EDIT: I remember now, the netgear router plugged into the old virgin media modem, so it isn't a just a cable router.
The vm superhub I have now is both, but it doesn't look like it can be set up to use a repeater wirelessly, only with an ethernet cable :(
http://www.theoriginalxboxshoppe.weebly.com
http://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/Computers-and-Consoles

Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 500gb sata hard disk, 1ghz CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p, blue LED's.
Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 320gb sata hard disk, stock CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p.
byron

Post by byron »

You guys are so smart...it took me about three days to set up dd-wrt on my old linksys (wireless bridge), that was a couple of years ago and its still going strong. It was one hell of a confusing process, but not impossible for the mildly tech savvy I suppose. I do remember wasting hours searching through the site trying to get all of my ducks in a row, come to think of it I dont ever want to do that again ;)
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Do any of you know if this type of thing is possible with the Apple Airport Extreme "UFO" base station? I would like some DD-WRT functions on it but theres no support for it :(
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.