Xbox overheating even with new tp and 80mm fan mod

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
Durig

Xbox overheating even with new tp and 80mm fan mod

Post by Durig »

Good day community.
Encounter a bit of trouble with xbox original.
Got an xbox original (1.6) from a friend as a gift with softmod installed.
At first just wanna make it quieter and perform a 80mm fan mod (used "be quiet! Pure wings 2(wihout pwm))"with complete change of thermal paste to arctic mx-4. Maybe unnecessary, but decided to cut down RF shielding behind the fan.
Aftet all that temperature in system after 20min of idle with fan speed set to x5 (i use rocky5 softmod package and his dash if this info need at all) stay at ~55-60C.
After this i thought that cut too much from hdd cage and messed airflow a bit, so decide to "restore" a little bit of hdd cage with hot glue and part of plastic with no improvements in temperature (still 55~60C).
So i decided to use molex-3pin adapter to make fan work at full speed ( even with full speed it is a lot quiter than original fan) and temperature just went down to 2-3C.
Completely without fan temp is raising ( i just power off console at 65C to prevent overheat) so i assuming temp.sensor is working.
If this necessary: use "crooss" method on gpu, and add ~ a rice grain of thermopaste on cpu.

Any thoughts? What i do wrong? What i could do?
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Xbox overheating even with new tp and 80mm fan mod

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

What dashboard are you using? UnleashX, XBMC, EvoX? It sounds as if you're probably using UnleashX.

The Xbox reporting of temperatures by UnleashX and EvoX is highly suspect and with v1.6 I'm lucky if UnleashX reports <54C except in the middle of winter with the ambient temperature in the room in <20C.That's with the stock fan running a x1 default.

In the summer I use x2 normally and this year which has been very hot on occasions (UK) and the room temperature was >30C I went up to x3 and that kept it at around reported 56C-ish.

EvoX will report temperatures as 60+C in almost all conditions so I do not trust it at all.

What I do trust is XBMC as in the same conditions described it will report all temperatures 8C - 10C lower than UnleashX and that is with the fan often running at it lowest set speed 20% (ie. x1 default) even at the height of the summer.

UnleashX reporting 65C is unusually high even for a v1.6. With other Xbox versions UnleashX consistently reports much lower typical temperatures, around the mid-40's C and often a greater difference between the MB and CPU temperatures too. If the new fan is bigger and better than the stock and running at full whack (x5/100%) something is not right.

I'd still test what XBMC reports.

Any chance it is not as simple as the new fan not being the right way round? It should be orientated as an exhaust fan ie. venting hot air out of the case.
Durig

Post by Durig »

As i mentioned in original post - i use rocky5 dash (dont know how to call it :) ). Will try and report latest xbmc, thanks for tip. Absolutely positive in right fan postioning.
Durig

Post by Durig »

In xbmc after 20 min of idle i got 40-42C cpu and 31C on gpu.
I guess case closed?
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Sounds OK to me if that is at the default 20% fan speed but I'd still watch the temperatures. I set the fan speed to auto with XBMC and an aim temperature of 50C. Most of the time the fan idles at 20%.

Rocky5's softmod itself uses, like a lot of installers, what is basically a modfied UnleashX dash but can install five different main dashboards.

So it could be Avalaunch, EvoX, UnleashX, XBMC or XBMC4Kids. If it was EvoX then the reported 60+C I'd say was nothing to worry about but with UnleashX, except in very hot ambient conditions, even with a v1.6 60+C and the fan at full power is concerning.

I'd put in a temperature threshold setting of 70C if it is the UnleashX dash.TBH I'm not sure what happens if the temperature threshold is exceeded and the fan is already at full speed. I'd hope the Xbox would shut down automatically but I wouldn't rely on it. Best thing to do is make sure that whatever skin you're using for UnleashX displays the temperatures on the start page so you can keep an eye on them.