old faulty generator new use?

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
professor_jonny

old faulty generator new use?

Post by professor_jonny »

i have an old petrol 2.2kw 6hp generator and the sator windings are fried on it and i wanted find some use for it better than clogging our garage.

im not capable of rewinding it and cost would be prohibitive im wondering if i slap on a 12 volt car alternator and use it in conjunction with a inverter to run our home in a power outage.

any one else got an idea of a use for it i thaught first off a go cart but it has no clutch.

a water blaster pump was the other idea but i dont really need one of them?

i believe the engine is a lifan chineese copy of a honda motor.
xman

Re: old faulty generator new use?

Post by xman »

This is my one I ordered for the farm backup power supply. Sounds similar. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Petrol-Engin ... 35b644e0e3Idea is to use a car alternator via a Vee belt and the alternator charges the battery bank, Possibly. Now another mod you may be interested in with the alternator. If you get the feedback wire that goes to the car alternator stator and put a pot on it to a separate car battery and it must be separate from the rest of the wiring, you can now adjust the output of the car alternator right up to 260 volts using the pot to adjust the output ac if you take out the ac to dc regulator or just use the high voltage DC with the regulator. This mod is used for welding especially. Catch is you need an old external regulator mechanical type alternator, Holden HQ and earlier is ideal, (Bosch Or Lucas) I wish I still had the exact details on this mod but I lent the book, "Living With 12 volts" or it may have been "Turning An old Car Alternator Into A welding Supply" or something like that. I had this book a long time ago, actually, way before the Net was thought of in the late 80s but I'm sure you'll find a copy of it somewhere now. Lost contact with the guy I lent the book to and never saw it again.