XBMC HUB Festival in UK - You're all invited!

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
whufclee

XBMC HUB Festival in UK - You're all invited!

Post by whufclee »

Alright people so I've been given the green light to tell you all about the upcoming xbmchub fest. For those of you unaware of xbmchub.com get yourself over there and take a look at the forum, everyone is really friendly and helpful - it actually reminds me a lot of this forum. The big difference is it's for mainbranch xbmc and not the xbox so much, they do have their own xbmc4xbox moderator though (me)... however I still have no idea why they asked me when there's clearly much more knowledgable people around on this forum!!!

What's XBMCHub?
TeamXBMC has distanced themselves from any third party addons that could be construed as legally grey so any talk of all our favourite addons on the official xbmc.org site is strictly prohibited - you will get an immediate ban. This all happened about a year or so ago, however all the great devs of these addons came over to xbmchub and now have a new home :D If you want to speak directly to the developers of all your favourite addons ([removed], Icefilms, TubePlus, Movie2k etc.) then this is where they all hang out.

What's XBMCHub Fest?
The highly talented and overall Mr nice guy that is Mikey1234 thought it was about time all us geeks met up and had a good old day out at the pub :) There will be giveaways (I'll be giving away a 250gb xbox loaded with games), bouncy castle for the little 'uns, at least one confirmed celebrity, some talks, general showing off of xbmc and much alcohol consumed - YAY!

Where and when is it?
All I can tell you so far is that it's going to be in August and held in Hampshire (most likely in a big pub with a large garden). I think it's going to be a weekend so I'll probably get a cheap Travelodge or something for the night.

Why should we attend?
Well as you all know XBMC is available on many platforms these days and has become pretty mainstream. A lot of people forget it all started with the Xbox so I don't know about you but I'd like to be there to remind everyone of that fact and show just how great our big black box can still be! Also there's going to be some top quality giveaways and you can get to meet the people behind all your favourite addons. I was out in Liverpool drinking with Voinage last weekend and he's hoping to make the journey down (for those of you that don't know Voinage - he's the one who started the addon craze and was a machine when it came to making them... remember NinjaVideo anyone?). I see today that the brilliant tuxen is even considering coming over from Denmark! Why else should you attend? Because it's going to be awesome of course - oh and I'll be there :lol:

Need Some Ideas...
As I mentioned I'll be donating an xbox loaded up with xbmc4xbox and a pretty large collection of games (quite a few thousand!). For the giveaway we're considering doing a tournament and the highest score wins but I've got no idea about what game to use so all recommendations will be considered. I was thinking of something old skool like PacMan but obviously we could have a proper xbox tournament of some nature... like I say ideas are welcome and it can be xbox, mame, snes, megadrive... whatever?

So can I interest anyone in this? The official thread can be found HERE
Last edited by whufclee on Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geeba

Re: XBMC Festival in UK - You're all invited!

Post by Geeba »

Did someone mention the PUB????? :D

Need a date as I'll need to get it past the Mrs and the dreaded 'on-call' rota at work :(

But yep I'd like to come along!

Mmmmmmmm Beeeeeeeeeer! LOL!

Yep Voinage! I do remember him, he fired out plugins faster than I could load them! LOL!
asbo

Post by asbo »

I can only be there in spirit I'm afraid, being housebound is such a drag :lol:
But good luck with it, I hope it is a success and you can proudly say 'I was at the first XBMC festival' :)
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

@Geeba: As soon as Mikey has a definite date I'll let you know mate, would be great if you can make it.
@asbo: Don't worry I'll have a beer on your behalf mate!
asbo

Post by asbo »

whufclee wrote:@asbo: Don't worry I'll have a beer on your behalf mate!
Make mine a cider ;)
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

Very cool, I wish I could be there. :(
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

BTW Lee you should rename this thread to ""XBMC HUB Festival in UK" I find the title a little confusing.
The guys from XBMC HUB deserve all the credit they can get for organizing this event and I wouldn't want people to think its related to mainline. ;)
whufclee

Re: Xbmchub Festival in UK - You're all invited!

Post by whufclee »

Well spotted mate, that was a slight oversight on my behalf. All fixed now :-)
Dom DXecutioner

Re: XBMC HUB Festival in UK - You're all invited!

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

don't mind my rant; however, if anyone deletes this or bans me for it, screw you! :)

i took the opportunity to check out the xbmchub website; whilst true that the xbox is a very old, yet capable of running xbmc, it seems that everyone wants to forget where it all originated from, that is, THE XBOX; NOT windows, NOT linux, NOT OSX, NOT OUYA, but the mothaf*ckin XBOX!!!

i'm not saying that the xbox should be a high priority nor that development should continue by everyone and their mother, however, have some respect with regards to its roots! XBMC originally meant X-Box Media Center, but now people act as if it doesn't mean sh*t!

i finally stopped by XbmcHub and in the main page they list all available installations but the Xbox's; for that reason, even if i could, i would not attend such an insult to its and roots and the original devs. So, i say, [beep] them!!!

i would, at least, expect some kind of a tribute, dedicated page to its origin, but others act as if it never existed!

anyway, done with my rant!

:)
Last edited by Dom DXecutioner on Thu May 16, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infinity8x3

Post by infinity8x3 »

I agree, They forgot their roots. Long live XBMC4XBOX. The xbox made xbmc, xbmc made the xbox. How could they forget this and abandon the platform SMH.

whufclee your awesome though, sorry to rant on your thread.
Last edited by infinity8x3 on Thu May 16, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got a pit bull?
http://mypitbullpro.com
Dom DXecutioner

[beep] it! Bring on the rants!!!

I can give a [beep] less about whomever dislikes or disagrees with my statements. I'm just saying! :)
Last edited by Dom DXecutioner on Thu May 16, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Dom DXecutioner wrote:don't mind my rant; however, if anyone deletes this or bans me for it, screw you! :)

i took the opportunity to check out the xbmchub website; whilst true that the xbox is a very old, yet capable of running xbmc, it seems that everyone wants to forget where it all originated from, that is, THE XBOX; NOT windows, NOT linux, NOT OSX, NOT OUYA, but the mothaf*ckin XBOX!!!

i'm not saying that the xbox should be a high priority nor that development should continue by everyone and their mother, however, have some respect with regards to its roots! XBMC originally meant X-Box Media Center, but now people act as if it doesn't mean shit!

i finally stopped by XbmcHub and in the main page they list all available installations but the Xbox's; for that reason, even if i could, i would not attend such an insult to its and roots and the original devs. So, i say, f*ck'm!!!

i would, at least, expect some kind of a tribute, dedicated page to its origin, but others act as if it never existed!

anyway, done with my rant!

:)

Hmm i think the same!!!!
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion guys. I've been considering adding a section on the homepage regarding installing xbmc4xbox for quite some time but to be honest xbmc and xbmc4xbox are totally different entities these days so I'm not really sure it's appropriate on an"XBMC Third Party Addons" site. If we had xbmc4xbox devs on there announcing xbox addons then yes I'd definitely do it but so far nobody has shown an interest. I've seen both kozz and Jan on there in the past getting help but I don't think either of them have made any posts on any xbox related addons and I don't know of anyone else apart from Buzz that codes for xbox these days (occasionally Voinage still does a bit in his spare time).

By the way there is a dedicated xbox section on the forum but I try to redirect users here where I can as this is clearly the best site to go to for anything xbmc4xbox related.

All platforms are welcome on xbmchub but not many from the xbox scene have shown an interest so until that changes I don't see myself adding an xbmc4xbox section on the front page just yet! Afterall it's a site dedicated to helping people out with their addon problems and as I rarely use an xbox anymore I'm certainly not the best person to ask when it comes to helping you out with anything on the a4x repo but feel free to come over and help out :)
Dom DXecutioner

You're missing my point! I can give a [beep] less about what any dev for Addons, scripts, mainline, ports do with their time for any xbmc build!

My point is, acknowledge the roots, plain and simple! Don't sit there and talk sh*t about the original inspiration and reason of existence of what xbmc is now!

That's like any child coming from a poor and struggling family, becoming successful and rich and then say [beep] my parents cause they weren't sh*t and now I'm successful!!!

Xbmc4Xbox devs need not be anywhere in any place where xbmc thrives under GPL and commercially (OUYA anyone?) is developed for it to have a dedicated place that explicitly defines its origins, the Xbox!!!

I suppose from a money making market, it makes sense! True enough I can articulate my points and the subject eloquently, but I'm annoyed! :)
Last edited by Dom DXecutioner on Thu May 16, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Oh I see, you mean TeamXBMC - yes in that case I couldn't agree more. However how many years have gone since they dropped the platform? It's been a long old time mate and we've just got to move on with the times. As far as I know I don't think I've been banned from xbmc.org yet but it's not somewhere I frequent these days. Don't worry I'll be bigging up the old girl as much as possible at the festival and see if we can get some new interest in the xbox. I've actually been thinking of getting a t-shirt made with an XBox Media Center logo on it :D
Dom DXecutioner

I have no issue with anyone dropping the platform dev, times do change and it is, what it is; my issue is the sh*t talking and disrespect of xbox of those *ss-wipes!!!
Last edited by Dom DXecutioner on Thu May 16, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

This really stems from the main site, XBMC.org - they completely disowned the Xbox and although they wont admit it... the user base too.... I even asked Jonathon Marshall as to why we were being ejected from the forum (I beleive its 'read-only' now) to which he replied " Yup - just like in real life, we gave them the brochures for the retirement homes 2 years ago and they never took the hint... "

So nothing to do with xbmchub IMO

This will ruffle feathers but the Xbox being a Microsoft product was doomed when Linux and Apple moved in to the playground... from memory there were no plans even for a windows port originally, the dev WiSo took up the reigns ... not so much here as I feel we have a mostly unblinkerd view, but I can remember the xbox suddenly becoming a 'pooh on your shoe!'

They are quick to recognize "Frodo" but not the platform he, RUNTiME and D7o3g4q started it on... but hey ho.... way past caring :D

But back on track...!

If its a good date work/home wise I'd like to go.. Happy to buy the people that have been helpful to me here a beer!
Last edited by Geeba on Thu May 16, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

whufclee wrote: I've actually been thinking of getting a t-shirt made with an XBox Media Center logo on it :D
LOL!

Me too!
xman

Post by xman »

I have been talking to Whuf on TeamSpeak regarding this festival and the Xbox being properly represented and I have much faith in a couple of ideas he came to for exactly this. I couldn't really think of a better person to take care of this to tell you the truth. I think the enhanced Xbox will be quite a surprise for many that attend.
Remember, it's all in the presentation and not to take on the other platforms at what they can do but rather what they can't do. ;) Whuf has put quite a bit of time into this.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

UPDATE:
Date and venue has been announced along with some great giveaway prizes.

Date & Time: Saturday 24th August 2013 @ 12pm
Venue: The Robin Hood Pub, 20 South East Road, Sholing, Southampton, SO19 8TQ

Giveaways:

#1st Prize #
Raw Media HTPC (Running Openelec)

#2nd Prize #
M1 Cyclone Nano (Running Latest Linux)

#3rd Prize #
Man Utd Signed Shirt/Football

For all people that want to participate in the competition its quite simple, you need to have the funniest Geek Related T-Shirt
Mikey1234 will be the judge on all winners.

I will also be donating an xbmc4xbox unit which will be loaded up with games, emulators and will of course have the amazing xbmc4xbox 3.3 set as the default dashboard. As yet I'm undecided on how you can win this prize but I think a "top score" challenge on a pre-determined xbox game will most likely be the best solution. It needs to be something simple so I'm open to ideas but I like the idea of DOA3 or Crazy Taxi 3.

Python Workshop:
This is gonna be a fab day to get to know you all better and with python workshops running through out the day hopefully get more people into coding. Remember to bring your laptop along if you're interested in learning how to code xbmc addons and the guys will help setup everything you need. This is not going to be a course on how to code in python but more of a basic "how to make addons" workshop. If I'm sober enough I'll be joining in with the rest of the class!

Getting There:

Airports
Southampton Airport (flybe.com)
Bournemouth Airport (Ryanair.com)

Train
SouthWest Trains are doing a special deal throughout the month of August, it's called "Summer Fever". You can travel anywhere on the Southwest Trains line for £15 return during every weekend in August. This means London to Southampton is just £15 for a day return AND you can buy it on the day of travel. Another option is the GroupSave ticket which is available on all off-peak trains (any train at weekends) and this allows 4 to travel for the price of 2. This is available on most non-intercity lines and again you can buy on the day of travel BUT you do all have to travel together.

After chatting to Mikey on the phone it would appear Sholing is the nearest train station and it's only a small walk to the pub from there. As this is also on the SouthWest line it means you can get a ticket to there for £15 too. I'll most likely be on the following trains:

Dep London Waterloo: 09:05
Arrive Southampton: 10:22
Have a pint or two in Southampton then get the 11:44 train which arrives in Sholing at 11:58

Coming back, well we'll see how it all goes but I need to be on the 22:30 train from Southampton at the latest otherwise I'll miss my last connection from London and it will be a night on the streets around Waterloo for me again!

If you want a taxi from Southampton station to the pub I had a quick look on http://www.taxiclub.co.uk and there appear to be a few companies doing it for £10 each way. I'm sure Mikey will be able to recommend a decent cab company though. There's a live band on at 9pm in the pub so it's fairly likely I'll stay and watch an hour of them and then get a taxi to Southampton and get the train home. Not entirely sure how many others I'll be with but I'd be happy to share the costs of a cab if anyone else needs a lift from the pub to Southampton.

Pub website: http://www.southampton-pubs.co.uk/robinhood/

IF YOU ARE ATTENDING:
PLEASE CLICK HERE AND VOTE ON THE POLL SO WE KNOW HOW MANY TO CATER FOR.