Ice Weasel Web Browser(free alternative to IE, FF and GC)

Here you can discuss things that are not directly related to running or using XBMC4XBOX.
Redneck9

Ice Weasel Web Browser(free alternative to IE, FF and GC)

Post by Redneck9 »

From what I understand, Ice Weasel is a new open source browser that keeps the man off yo back. Allowing for anonymous web surfing "doesn't $$$ell your web activity" doesn't have auto update feature, also is patched with other various security back ports.

firefox chapped mine when they recently changed their settings layout.
Heimdall

Re: Ice Weasel Web Browser(free alternative to IE, FF and GC

Post by Heimdall »

Nope. Ice Weasel is Firefox with some minor branding changes and some small tweaks. It was created to get round some odd licensing / branding issues between Mozilla and Debian back in 2006.

It's now called IceCat, and is still essentially Firefox with some tweaks.
Redneck9

Post by Redneck9 »

Heimdall wrote:Nope. Ice Weasel is Firefox with some minor branding changes and some small tweaks. It was created to get round some odd licensing / branding issues between Mozilla and Debian back in 2006.

It's now called IceCat, and is still essentially Firefox with some tweaks.
Thanks for clearing that up. When was reading about that before my original post, however I didn't know to what capacity it uses firefox code.

It just seemed odd to me that Ice Weasel ships with the new LINUX KALI OS.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

It's the same license / brand issue. In a nutshell, you can't call it Firefox if it isn't the official Mozilla version, so if you want to make changes and disable automatic updates (as you would with a pen testing tool like Kali) then you have to use another version, and IceWeasel is it. My recollection is that in general use it looks and feels like Firefox, just with a different icon!
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

Looks like firefox, feels like firefox, is firefox. In all but name. I know it from (T)AILS linux, which it comes installed with tor button, https everywhere, and non cookie based search engines.