[SOLVED] Weird File System Error?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
zdwyer

[SOLVED] Weird File System Error?

Post by zdwyer »

Hi everyone,

I am very new to the XBOX modding community; I just finished softmodding my XBOX using the Splinter Cell savegame method and I've managed to make things work so far. However I'm tripping up on one thing.

I'm using FileZilla and all of my FTPing has been working fine, but then something happened - I created a new directory using FileZilla on the F partition (titled "games") and threw a few of my games in there and everything worked fine. However, something unsettling happened - whenever I went into that directory using either FileZilla or the built-in UnleashX file manager, it would take me to a mirrored version of its parent directory. For example, if you go into F:\Games you'll see folders with games in them, and a "Games" folder I never created. So I entered that folder and I'm now at F:\Games\Games and the directory listing is the same thing: the same folders with games in them, and another "Games" folder. You can keep going on and on and on into this Games folder and it never stops. It's like it's referencing itself.

Then I made the apparent mistake of deleting the Games folder, and it gave me an error (although it appears to be deleted on the filesystem), but the space is still being used up. Creating a few new folders, whatever the first folder created is has the same problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've never experienced this issue within any sort of a file system before - is there a name for this kind of phenomenon? What should I do?

Information:
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE (WD2500JB) 250GB [used LPartX to copy/install]
Dashboard: UnleashX 0.38.0515A Build 565
Softmod: nkpatcher.06 [I followed this tutorial to a T (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMkRAlMlFJU)]
zdwyer

[SOLVED] Re: Weird File System Error?

Post by zdwyer »

I've recently solved this just by using the LPartX program that I used to copy over the original XBOX HDD to the replacement 250 GB one to format the partition and split it into F and G. This seemed to do the trick and no more self-referential infinite folder links.