Liquid cool my xbox plz

Got some hardware to sell, trade, or want to buy something. Post your details here.
max227

Liquid cool my xbox plz

Post by max227 »

Can Anyone on this site custom liquid cool my original xbox? That thing gets soooo hot. Its a got a 2Tb hdd in it? Any ideas, suggestions, credible websites, services yall know of, advice, or plans/stragegies to get me started? Its at like 90degrees when I turn it on then bam hits like 110 when i play a game. Im scared to play it lol. Ive been using sites like this one for reference and wikias, guides, and other sources. Let me know what yall think :D
professor_jonny

Re: Liquid cool my xbox plz

Post by professor_jonny »

are you sure it is farenheight not degrees centigrade? as I think the xbox turns off at 70 with an orange light I think?
asbo

Post by asbo »

I'm typing this on my almost completely silent water cooled PC, and whilst water cooling is jolly good fun, it would be completely overkill on an xbox and a colossal waste of money and time.
Just replace the thermal paste if you haven't already and the fan too if you feel it needs it. Very cheap and easy to do :)
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Yeah I have some really quiet and cool Xboxes - a good silver thermal compound, a good dust out, 80mm fan mod and remove the shielding mesh by the fan exhaust..

My 1Ghz one is fine on this so a stock 733mhz box should be good... I would possibly look at water cooling a Trusty 1.4Ghz box... ;)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Geeba nailed it, do those small mods and you'll see a massive difference. Also since your running a 2TB you should do cut the hard drive caddy just in front of the fan to help pull some heat off of the hard drive. You may not need an 80MM fan but you can increase the fan speed to 40% or so to give it some extra cooling. There are a few threads around here on cooling the xbox with out spending money or only spending a small amount. Start here........

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=14&t=218

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=14&t=158
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
xman

Post by xman »

100 degrees Fahrenheit is 37.78 degrees Celsius. Let that suker warm up a bit I say. Most of us here quote Celsius and I'm thinking you have been mislead. 50- 55 c is what I target my machines to run at and I do absolutely nothing other than trim out the metal where the fan is and dust them out occasionally. I've never touched the heatsink or the compound but some swear by it. There is also no way know that machine or chip for that matter could ever reach 100 Celsius so even if your machine is displaying 100c, it would then be incorrect. I'm thinking you will find that figure is actually Fahrenheit and therefore your fan would be working it's arse out trying to do the near impossible keeping the machine so cold.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

One thing too, if you've got a 1.6 XBOX and are reading the temps in EVOX they usually dont read correctly. They'll show some far off temperature and stay there. It's scared the crap out of me before.
xman wrote:I've never touched the heatsink or the compound but some swear by it.
Try it, you'll love it. Maybe not love it but you should see a temp drop I would think.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched