Duo X3 Problem

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Ging3rguy

Duo X3 Problem

Post by Ging3rguy »

Hi, was going to use a Duo X3 I ordered from China to fix the Error 16 in my other post. Soldered in the pinheader and attached cables, turned on the box and nothing. Checked out the chip and they have managed to build the chip pinheader the wrong way round. I used a meter to bell out the connections. So when you connect it how they have wired it, the chip sits over the IDE socket :!: :x :roll:
RunsilenT

Re: Duo X3 Problem

Post by RunsilenT »

I found the Duo-X3 quite tight but managed to get it fitted ok. I carefully inserted the Ide
cable at a slight angle and got it to sit nicely holding the modchip as seen here.
Attachments
Duo-X3 tight fit.
Duo-X3 tight fit.
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

I think I might try this, just so it is not pushing against the pins.
Attachments
Pinheader_5_resize.jpg
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

I hear ya Ging3rguy but I`d be happier with all the pins soldered well and one connection than doing what that aladdin has.
ive used those connections on older Aladdin Advance chips to the motherboard direct, they aint great in my opinion.
But its your chip and your motherboard, I`d consider hard wiring before mounting a chip on pins. Whatever works though eh!
Great to see you getting stuck in!
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

That's kinda cool that the IDE cable secures the chip. Was it pushing the chip at all or was the chip sorta resting on the cable?
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

I wouldnt say it was stressing the chip as i can remove the ide cable without removing the modchip.
By nothing but coincidence it does hold the modchip at the perfect location opposite the pinheader.
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

RunsilenT wrote:I wouldnt say it was stressing the chip as i can remove the ide cable without removing the modchip.
By nothing but coincidence it does hold the modchip at the perfect location opposite the pinheader.
Hi Runsilent, have you set a Duo X3 up in the always on mode and if so do you cut the trace as the Aladdin +2 :?:
Thanks
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

No need to cut a trace. Just join BT to Pin 1 (Always on link). Make sure D0 on mobo
is grounded and your good to go. I only ever install them Always On.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3792
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

RunsilenT wrote:No need to cut a trace. Just join BT to Pin 1 (Always on link). Make sure D0 on mobo
is grounded and your good to go. I only ever install them Always On.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3792

Okay so you were right it does fit quite nicely :) , Not sure of the Duo logo instead of the Evox one :? , but I do like the blue X like the M8 bios on the slayers disc :)
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

Its a decent modchip, similar to the Aladdin XT plus 2. Ive flashed mine with 256k Evo M8 bios but
Im sure the bios supports up to 2TB drives anyway so it does the job. Glad you got it sorted.