Help a dummy install XBMC...

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
AnDroid0587

Help a dummy install XBMC...

Post by AnDroid0587 »

First off, thank you for your patience... I don't often post in forums so pastebin and imageshack are new to me, I hope I am following the rules correctly here....

Anyways, here's the story. I am used to working with modchips, however both of my old X3's died and I got a good deal on a softmod I found on craigslist with a 250GB HDD, so I nabbed it. It boots directly to some old "pimped" version of XBMC with the old PMIII skin and lacking in features, so I wanted to do an upgrade to RC2. I tried the old renaming XBMC to XBMC_COLD and then uploading the new RC2 in a folder named XBMC. This gives me the invalid home skins not found error. I checked the XML and it IS still pointing to F:/Apps/XBMC, exactly where RC2 is located. I also checked the XBMC XML on C:/ and same thing. Now I understand that making a new shortcut.xbe in C would probably be my best bet, but I'm not the one who installed the softmod... how in the world do I tell which dashboard is launched at boot? I know it's and SID installation for sure, there is and SID folder on root C. I'm going to include some snapshots of what my directories look like and the XMLs found on C and F. No log (besides an old one on C) was found. If there is a way for me to get around touching anything on drive C I would prefer to do that, I am not really all that comfortable messing around in there without having a chip installed. Thank you in advance for your patience.

XBMC XML from drive C:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=5vEQgDre

XBMC XML from Cold installation drive F:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=s97CPRgJ

EVOX ini from drive C:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=M1b0Bf20

Snapshot of Drive C:

Snapshot of Drive F:

Snapshot of SID

Dan Dar3

Re: Help a dummy install XBMC...

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Does your old XBMC have a File Manager option? Cause one way to find out what each of those XBEs do is to... suspense... run them :-) Should not change anything for you, but this way you can identify what each do.

After you go through all of them and one proves that it runs back your current XBMC, that's the one you need to replace with the shortcut XBE, BUT... before you do anything rash, install the new XBMC in say F:\apps\XBMC35RC2 or whatever name, copy the shortcut XBE under whatever name and craft an appropriate .cfg file with the same name (but obviously different extension, that's how they find each other) and TEST it by running from File Manager again that it actually RUNS correctly your new version using XBMC4Xbox > System Info (altough at your stage it will quite obvious coming from PMIII to Confluence Lite). Proven that the shortcut XBE and its cfg and of course the new XBMC all work, then you move into the final position where you move and rename both the shortcut XBE and it's CFG into the final position.

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Instal ... mmended.29

PS: Having done that successfully, check out my signature for two things you might find useful, enjoy!
AnDroid0587

Post by AnDroid0587 »

Thank you for your help buddy. Worked out great. I had never considered doing a test-run with the shortcuts and then renaming them, that made me feel MUCH more at ease when I committed to renaming my boot dash. Now I can finally move on and finish this box. I appreciate it greatly. :mrgreen:
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Teach a man to fish... :-) Well done!