Connecting to a Mediatomb server

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Emegra

Connecting to a Mediatomb server

Post by Emegra »

Hi Guys

I'm hoping someone here can help me solve a problem I've been struggling with for days now

I have 2 Xboxes running XBMC and I want to connect them to a Mediatomb server I have running on a PC (Linux Peppermint 5) through UPnP but when I try to add a UPnP device neither of the Xboxes can find it, I've established that Mediatomb is visible to the network because I can connect to it from another PC on the network using VLC or UPnP-inspector also if I set one Xbox to share music & video libraries through UPnP the other Xbox can see that but neither can see the Mediatomb server I have running on the PC, I also tried setting up Mediatomb on another PC connected to the Network and although the other PC's on the network can find it no problem the Xboxes fail to see it.

The guys over at the Linux UK forums are trying to help me with this but they seem baffled as well http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=12035.0 it's a long thread but this issue starts a page 2 #22

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated

Graeme
Last edited by Emegra on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dan Dar3

Re: Connecting to a Mediatomb server

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Graeme
Let's maybe start with a debug log from your XBMC, we can see the version you're using and anything else that uPnP might log in there - so yes, enable debug log, do what you need to do to setup / replicate the issue and then extract the log file.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=6&t=65
Emegra

Post by Emegra »

Ok thanks for your help.

I restarted the xbox and attempted to add the Mediatomb server then downloaded xbmc.log & xbmc.log,old and posted below, hope this is what you're looking for

New Log

http://pastebin.com/A5dtBjXZ

Old Log
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=277785

Many thanks

Graeme
Last edited by Dan Dar3 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Logs should be uploaded to xbmclogs.com or pastebin.com
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Emegra
Your logs show an older build from 2012. I would suggest installing the latest 3.5 beta 4 (see the plugin in my signature, that'll install it in a separate folder without altering your current setup, so you can test it) and then try again with that - lots of fixes have been added since.
Emegra

Post by Emegra »

Thanks for taking the time to look at this I did as you suggested and updated to the latest 3.5 Beta but it's still the same, if it means anything it wont auto discover SMB shares either but I can connect to them by adding a network location and inputing the IP address manually but if I try that with UPnP I get an error message telling me it cant establish a network connection but it will auto discover a Minidlna server I have running on a NAS on the same network, it's a puzzle wrapped up in a riddle inside an enigma and I can't even say for sure it's an XBMC issue, I've been bashing away at this for almost 2 weeks now and getting nowhere but any suggestions you may have i'll try otherwise I'm happy to throw the towel in and admit defeat

thanks again for your help

Graeme
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet, give it a couple of weeks here, maybe someone else that uses MediaTomb themselves will find this thread and answer.

In the meantime, if I were you I would start looking at network traffic analyzer like Wireshark or similar, and look into the traffic going on between the two machines, to figure out the request and responses to see what's not going right.
http://mediatomb.cc/dokuwiki/faq:faq#ji ... at_do_i_do
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Please post a debug log from the latest beta version.

are you mediatomb and xbox on the same subnet ? I suspect this is a networking / configuration issue

I am using mediatomb with xbmc4xbox.
Emegra

Post by Emegra »

Hi Guys

I've changed things quite a bit since my last post and fortunately solved almost all the issues, I was having a lot of irritating issues other than the ones I posted here so I completely wiped the PC and reconfigured it as a NAS running Openmediavault and it's working perfectly apart from 2 things which I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

I set up a DLNA server on the NAS using Minidlna and the Xbox can see all the shared folder and add them but one folder (Movies) is showing all the movie files as 0 bytes and wont play the movies I have another folder (Videos) which also has movie files with the same file extensions (.mp4 & .mkv) and it records the correct file size and plays them no problem

the other problem is it won't autoscan for a SMB source when I try to autoscan I get this error message "error-1073741772: share not available" but it will allow me to add the share manually by adding a network location and inputing the ip address manually this is not a major problem but it does suggest there's something not quite right as it used to work before

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated

Graeme
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Important: debug log; we are unable to know what xbmc is doing on your end without it... Be sure to enable debug in the system settings
Emegra

Post by Emegra »

Emegra

Post by Emegra »

Hi Guys

I just realised I didn't have debugging enabled when I posted the previous logs so just in case it makes a difference here's the revised logs

Old Log

http://pastebin.com/smYBEEBu

New Log

http://pastebin.com/Mri2BSNP

I don't know if this tells you anything but I have XBMC installed on a PC on the same network as the Xbox and it has no problem reporting the correct file size of the movie files or playing them

Many thanks

Graeme
Emegra

Post by Emegra »

Just to update, I've got SMB to autoscan now although I don't know what I did, but it's working so that's no longer an issue,

but I'm still left with the UPnP issue, the problem appears to be caused by scraper files such as .tbn,.nfo etc that resides in the same directory as the movie file because if I create a new directory and place just the movie file in that directory it works fine but if i add the scraper files it records the movie file as 0 bytes and wont play, even deleting these scraper files again wont bring it back

This problem is only happening with one volume (Movies), I have another volume (Videos) which has some movie files in folders along with the same scraper files and it doesn't have any issues so I can't be sure if this is an XBMC4Xbox, Openmediavault or Minidlna issue but I feel it's something to do with XBMC4Xbox because I have XBMC running on my PC and it has no problems at all

I apologise for the long winded post but I'm just trying to give as much relevant information as I can in the hope someone can provide me with a solution

Many thanks

Graeme
Emegra

Post by Emegra »

Hi Guys

Ok I've resolved the problem by installing Plexmediaserver on my NAS and everything is working perfectly, I've no idea what the problem was with Minidlna and I don't suppose I ever will, I'm just glad to put closure on this

Many thanks for your help

Graeme