Need help identifying this modchip

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
mindgames

Need help identifying this modchip

Post by mindgames »

I was given a modded v1.0 xbox which hadn't had any apps or firmware updated since around 2003. I'm just getting back into the scene so I need some help identifying which mod chip is installed. Pic is attached. I need to hold down power button a few seconds to boot into modchip mode. BIOS checker says unknown for firmware types so I'm not sure what BIOS it has now. Which BIOS is recommended for this chip? Thanks!
Attachments
Bios checker screenshot
Bios checker screenshot
Need help identifying this modchip.
Need help identifying this modchip.
DavPow

Re: Need help identifying this modchip

Post by DavPow »

That's an Aladdin modchip. I have iND-BIOS on mine and it works great. Use the HeXEn disc and flash a 256k BIOS.
Xlink Kai: DavPow
V1.0, Crystal case, OpenXenium + iND BIOS 5003, 1TB HDD (WD WD10EZEX), XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3, XBMC4Gamers
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Yep, Aladdin XT modchip. Standard stuff. If you're not afraid of the soldering iron you can change its boot behavior to always boot into modchip mode:

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... c64ef#p112

I usually ground BT because there's no Xbox Live anymore so no real reason to boot console from onboard TSOP (unless you flashed your TSOP and want to have a dual-boot setup).
You can also unsolder L1 if you don't want the modchip to control the front LED.
mindgames

Post by mindgames »

Thanks guys!

Having it always boot into the mod chip without having to hold the power button definitely interests me as I have no reason to boot the system without the modchip enabled. Would I lose the flash protect options if I do that?

Aladdin XT Modes:
Off - Tap the power button and the Xbox starts as normal with the original BIOS.
On - Press and hold power button for 1 second and the Aladdin XT is activated with flash protected.
Upgrade - Press and hold power button for 2 seconds and the Aladdin XT is activated with flash write enable.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

mindgames wrote:Thanks guys!

Having it always boot into the mod chip without having to hold the power button definitely interests me as I have no reason to boot the system without the modchip enabled. Would I lose the flash protect options if I do that?

Aladdin XT Modes:
Off - Tap the power button and the Xbox starts as normal with the original BIOS.
On - Press and hold power button for 1 second and the Aladdin XT is activated with flash protected.
Upgrade - Press and hold power button for 2 seconds and the Aladdin XT is activated with flash write enable.
No more flash protect when doing this. You're basically fooling the modchip into thinking you never released the power button by doing this mod.

Is that really that big of a deal. I mean I think all programs that can flash your modchip have some sort of clearly indicated warning message.