Upgrade from T3CH to 3.3?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.

Upgrade from T3CH to 3.3?

Postby kellenfire » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi,

After reading posts in this forum for the last few days, I didn't find what I was looking for, I will apologize if I missed it somewhere.

The basic functions of my old XBMC works fine now (serves from my network) but I don't have any add-on's, skins, etc..

My main question is this:
Should I upgrade to the 3.3 or is there a moderate to high probability of bricking my xbox?

I have been using my xbmc softmod xbox (T3CH 1.7.4) for many years without it ever being accessible to the internet. I would like to use the scrapers and other add-on's that are available. I am also assuming there might be more video extensions available, as I am also running tversity on my network to aid my xbox and xbox360.

I can FTP into my xbox, but I don't remember why it is setup the way it is. I have C/D/E/F/Q folders. According to some of the tutorials and posts I have read, there is supposed to be something in the e:/apps folder to which there isn't anything. Likewise for folder F. Folder E looks like the main file system (Apps/backup/cache/dash/ndts/tdata/udata) while Folder Q might be the working folder (_tools.../Screensaver/userdata/XBMC/ etc..)

If there is little chance of bricking my xbox, I would like to update via FTP. I read http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Install_XBMC#FTP and I am not sure if I should install into /E/dash/XBMC or /Q/default.xbe or /Q/XBMC/. (I guess, there are multiple 4-5 places where I see default.xbe and 2 places E and Q where I see screenshots and playlists. I'm not sure what can be deleted and what can't).

I've also tried to download from "Main codebase (XBMC4XBOX) SVN: https://svn.exotica.org.uk:8443/xbmc4xbox/" but it looks likes an FTP link without option to d/l. Sorry, I'm very rusty on this stuff.

Any advice on what files to delete/replace or how to properly download the files to replace would be greatly appreciated. I realized I wrote a book here, but I figured I would offer some information in case it's needed rather than have someone ask for it. I swear that I really spent days reading through this forum.

Sincerely,

I don't want to break, what's not broken.
kellenfire

Re: Upgrade from T3CH to 3.3?

Postby trogggy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:59 pm

What I do - not the only way, but it's safe...

Download 3.3 from the forum to pc, unzip it.
Re-name the folder to XBMC2 (or whatever).
FTP it to the same directory as the current XBMC (eg E/Apps for me)
Run the new build - start it by navigating to E/Apps/XBMC2/XBMC.XBE in your xbmc file manager and clicking on the xbe.
Check the new build's working properly.
Switch to a different dash (eg unleashx / Avalaunch).
Delete your old xbmc build and re-name the new build folder to XBMC again (via FTP).
Re-boot box. Done.
trogggy

Postby bigkidoz » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:09 am

I do the same as Troggy but i leave the old copy there untill the next update and i dont use a non XBMC dash , just use file manager to rename the folders as required.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
bigkidoz

Postby kellenfire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:42 am

Thanks for the quick replies!

I dumped the download into e:/app/xbox33 folder and ran it from there for a bit. It froze once when I tried backing out of a mkv video file, assumed since it was choppy on initial play, it was more of a local network problem or the file was too big. Other video files worked fine.

So, the next step
Switch to a different dash (eg unleashx / Avalaunch).
. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Should I dump the new 3.3 version into my e:/dash folder deleting and then replacing all files?

I'm assuming my "Q" folder with the files are redundant and I should delete them, since the "E" folder seems to be where my "dash" folder is?

Thanks.

Little more confident.

(curious, where's the FTP server files? I've backed-up the folders I'm replacing. If I screw up by deleting the wrong thing, are the 'ftp files' in the C folder?)
kellenfire

Postby trogggy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:32 am

What else is in E/Apps

You have E/Apps/XBMC and E/AppsXBMC33 (the new build).

Anything else?

Oh and don't touch the files in Q. Those are whatever version of XBMC is running at the time.
trogggy

Postby kellenfire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:29 am

There was nothing in e:/apps until I put the 'xbox33' folder in their tonight.

I'm assuming now I would just move (cut) the files from e/apps/xbox33 and paste them into e/dash and then reboot xbox?

Thanks, Q will be safe from my delete key.
kellenfire

Postby trogggy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:03 am

No. The files need to stay in the xbmc33 folder - you need to re-name that to xbmc for your shortcut to boot to the new build to work(assuming your box is set up to boot to E/Apps/xbmc - they need to end up in the same place as the old xbmc folder).
To be safe I would install a new dash, switch to that, then either delete or rename your (old) xbmc folder and rename XBMC33 to XBMC.
You can download the unleashx dash here:
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbox/tools/unleashx-ver0390528a-last-official/
Unrar it, FTP it to E/Apps.
Navigate to the xbe in E/Apps/Unleashx in xbmc file manager.
Delete / re-name the old xbmc folder via FTP.
Re-name the XBMC33 folder to XBMC. Make sure it's in the same location as the old XBMC build was.
Re-boot. Done.
trogggy

Postby kellenfire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:01 am

Thanks for your continued help trogggy.

I followed your instructions. As unleashx was on the tv, I changed the folder name and rebooted, same (original) T3CH build showed.

There was nothing originally in the e:/apps folder prior to tonight. Looks like everything was in e:/dash.

While unleashx was loaded again (on the tv) I tried going in and pasting the xbmx3.3 files overwriting the files in the e:/dash folder. Apparently, the files are locked and can't be overwritten.

Thoughts?
kellenfire

Postby trogggy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:12 am

kellenfire wrote:Thanks for your continued help trogggy.

I followed your instructions. As unleashx was on the tv, I changed the folder name and rebooted, same (original) T3CH build showed.

There was nothing originally in the e:/apps folder prior to tonight. Looks like everything was in e:/dash.

While unleashx was loaded again (on the tv) I tried going in and pasting the xbmx3.3 files overwriting the files in the e:/dash folder. Apparently, the files are locked and can't be overwritten.

Thoughts?

Just to confirm...

Your tech build is in the E/XBMC folder? Or is it E/dash/xbmc?
Your new build is now in the E/Apps/XBMC folder?

If that's the case try running unleashx then re-naming E/XBMC to E/XBMCold via FTP (or E/dash/xbmcold).
If that works then move the E/Apps/XBMC folder (new build) to become E/XBMC (or E/dash/XBMCold).

If you can't delete the folder when running another dash then to be honest I'm stumped. I've always used the Krayzie softmod, and ended up with xbmc in E/Apps, never had that issue.
If you can't delete / re-name please confirm it here, and hopefully someone will be along soon who has a clue. :lol:
trogggy

Postby kellenfire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:30 am

Well, I was confused as well... files weren't being used, they shouldn't have been locked.

I was able to get it working to the 3.3 with great thanks to you.

The default.xbe working files and folders were set to be loaded from E:/dash
I was able to exit wsftp and restart/login and while running unleashx from e:/apps, I was able to delete all the files & folders from E:/dash and then FTP the 3.3 files to that location w/o problem. On reboot I have the 3.3 working now. Perhaps, both the pc and xbox were beginning to realize it's past 1am and my patience was getting thin. LOL.

Now, onto the reason why I started this journey... finding the thread again and following the steps in using the add-ons.

trogggy, thanks for your help.
xbmc4xbox and contributors, thank you for keeping xbox xbmc alive!
Cheers!
kellenfire

Postby trogggy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:43 am

Phew!
Glad it's sorted.
trogggy

Return to XBMC4XBOX General Help and Support