old source available?

Discussion of XBMC4XBOX development.
nodots

old source available?

Post by nodots »

So, if I had svn tools installed, how would I go about checking out the source for, say 2.0? Do I need to load up 2.0 on my box and check the build number... and then what? As I have never done more than "single dev" jobs, I have never needed to use versioning/collaboration tools.
professor_jonny

Re: old source available?

Post by professor_jonny »

what would you want an old source for?

I believe what you are looking for is here :

Project Bugtracker: http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/xbmc4xbox/
SVN: https://svn.exotica.org.uk:8443/xbmc4xbox/
Repository Browser: http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/ ... repository
nodots

Post by nodots »

I want the "genre" function back for party mode. I can't believe they removed it! They must have had small/limited collections... I, however, have over 1100 CD's spanning almost all genre's. When I am throwing a party and all my metal-head friends are over, we don't want to hear Pachelbel or John Denver.

Anyway, I may try to add the genre function back into the party mode playlist maker. The removal of that one feature made it suck.
xman

Post by xman »

Shuffle is another function that went AWOL as did random. Dom did reinstall random but his was skin based. It is excellent in it's workings but having these desired features back in XBMC itself would be nicer I believe. Actually , it was quite ingenious how Dom did it in his skin. Every time you started the machine and started playing a startup playlist, it would start from the last song that it had played the last time the machine was on and continue from that point of the playlist so you didn't get the same songs at the start of the playlist playing every time you booted the machine. I actually thought most users would like this feature but it seems not many users either use startup playlists or now what they are. Or maybe they never saw the posts about this feature I requested. Who knows?. Good luck and I for one hope you success.
nodots

Post by nodots »

Thanks professor_jonny and xman. I have a friend that is going to teach me C++, and maybe I can get him to help me create the patch. I have been programming for years, but the only compiled language I know is ASM... Most of my experience is script languages (basic, batch, bash, python, PHP, etc).

I do have a working XDK in a VM (had it for years), so I have the ability to test the code. I just need the old code because I can't replicate it myself yet. I think I need 2.0 code, but I hope 2.1 has it as that is as far back as the SVN repo goes.

Older code: https://svn.exotica.org.uk:8443/xbmc4xb ... _releases/
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

You want tags, not branches, try here:

https://svn.exotica.org.uk:8443/xbmc4xbox/tags/old/
https://svn.exotica.org.uk:8443/xbmc4xb ... _0_0/XBMC/
  • SVN tags - they represent released versions as we know them (2.0.0, 2.0.1, ..., 3.5.0 etc). When a version is released, the code from a branch is tagged with the version identifier (eg. 2.0.1); useful for referencing or building and trying the code for a specific version (e.g. 2.0.1).
  • SVN branch - it's a "live" branch that allows to develop and apply maintenance fixes for that specific version (e.g. on a 3.5 branch, you initially tag and release a 3.5.0 and in the future you can continue applying fixes and eventually tag a 3.5.1 from it and so on)
  • SVN Trunk - it's the main "branch" with the latest code in which the work for future major releases will be done, before it is branched for the next maintenance branch (e.g. 3.6 or 4.0), allowing for future long term work do be done on trunk again.
http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/nightly/Tor ... chtag.html
nodots

Post by nodots »

Dan Dar3 wrote:You want tags, not branches...
Wow, ok. I have no idea how to use versioning software, so thanks for the mini-lesson! I just killed the "checkout" and started one of XBMC_2_0_0/XBMC. It should be interesting to look through the code.

EDIT: I use Debian as my only OS (no dual boot), but I have windows in a VM. I use the Debian SVN client, as the less in the VM the better.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

You'll get the hang of it - SVN it's actually not that complicated, once you grasp the basic concepts. And it is a breeze compared to say Mercurial or Git :-) but that would be a headache for some other time.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

xman wrote:Shuffle is another function that went AWOL as did random. Dom did reinstall random but his was skin based. It is excellent in it's workings but having these desired features back in XBMC itself would be nicer I believe. Actually , it was quite ingenious how Dom did it in his skin. Every time you started the machine and started playing a startup playlist, it would start from the last song that it had played the last time the machine was on and continue from that point of the playlist so you didn't get the same songs at the start of the playlist playing every time you booted the machine. I actually thought most users would like this feature but it seems not many users either use startup playlists or now what they are. Or maybe they never saw the posts about this feature I requested. Who knows?. Good luck and I for one hope you success.
Dam! you're right! - I was just setting up a music video jukebox and I cant find a way to randomize the music vids :(

Party mode is there, but how can I randomize the order they play?

Is there anyway now?
nodots

Post by nodots »

Geeba wrote:Dam! you're right! - I was just setting up a music video jukebox and I cant find a way to randomize the music vids :(

Party mode is there, but how can I randomize the order they play?

Is there anyway now?
My guess? Add the code from the partymode randomizer. I have looked through the code, it's there. It's just not available on every playlist (just partymode init of playlist).

EDIT: It should be in the interface so that it's optional for a user playlist, and mandatory for init of partymode.
Dom DXecutioner

old source available?

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

In music, random is available, though I suspect this is more skin based as it does exists in the code base. I use it all the time. This should also be available in the visualization screen in confluence lite, but I don't remember.
nodots

Post by nodots »

Between 2.0 and 3.5, the "PartyModeManager.cpp" files don't look functionally different regarding playlist creation to me. Was it 2.0 or 2.1 that they removed genre from partymode?
Dom DXecutioner wrote:In music, random is available, though I suspect this is more skin based as it does exists in the code base. I use it all the time...
So how would I add it to PM3? Or, maybe I'll try before you can tell me. ;)

EDIT: Should have looked, shuffle is there.
nodots

Post by nodots »

Crap! "genre" is available as a filter in party mode! :oops:
In Library mode, go to playlists and chose to edit "Party Mode Playlist". It's got quite a few options. Once you set your options, just click Party Mode like normal. You can then edit the filters anew for each party you throw.

Couldn't/wouldn't have found it without source.