Xbox just goes off when playing a video

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Ash123

Xbox just goes off when playing a video

Post by Ash123 »

This has only started to happen to me but when I play a video the Xbox just switches off. I've kept booting it up and trying again until it plays the file, sometimes it takes about 3 or 4 attempts but now it just goes off all the time. Is it a configuration error or a file has become corrupt? Do I need to uninstall xbmc4xbox and re-install it? I'm using v3.3.3. If so, do I need to delete any save files? Or could it be the Xbox itself? It's 10 years old now (Crystal v1.6) and chipped (xecuter 2).

Please help me as I practically use this everyday to watch TV shows and it's driving me mad.

Thanks.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Xbox just goes off when playing a video

Post by BuZz »

sounds like a hardware problem, but you should at least try with the current version. 3.3 is pretty old.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Ash123
First try XBMC4Xbox 3.5 as it comes and then with this advanced setting ("powersave"), see more below.

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 820#p24820
http://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/ ... ions/32955
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/UserDa ... wersave.3E

Q:\UserData\advancedsettings.xml

Code: Select all

<advancedsettings>
  <powersave>false</powersave>
<advancedsettings>
Also, I would keep an eye on temperatures (System Info), before) as it may shutdown due to overheating and after) as the setting will disable the power-saving feature that allows the CPU to enter idle state.
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Thanks, i'll give it a try and let you know what happens.
xman

Post by xman »

Put a game disc in and see if it shuts down, I believe it will. As Dan said, "keep your eye on the temperatures" and maybe set the temp control in XBMC to Target Temp...50C, minimum fan % to 6%. These exact settings are what I'm using in an Australian summer with daily temps of 30- 36c so these setting will be overkill for you more than likely. If the game disc doesn't shut down the machine, I'm thinking maybe the auto shutdown timer in XBMC has been set accidentally. To prove this , try timing how long it runs and then try again and see if the times match.
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Well OK, I don't think it's a temperate problem. I tried a couple of XBOX game discs and they played fine. I also played various emulators and they worked also. This shutdown problem only happens when I play a video. I checked the CPU temp and it's below 30c from a cold boot up, the GPU temp is 22c. Then when playing a video the CPU jumps to around 38c and the GPU 31c. I installed XBMC v3.5 and the problem still occurred.

Now, I changed the hard drive to a back up one I have just in case of something going wrong, like now, and the problem still occurred. Also I have another soft-mod XBOX and installed v3.5 and I haven't had any problems. So it must be a hardware problem with the chipped box. What I have noticed though is that the menu is glitchy and flickers when I scroll. Then the glitch happens just as I play a video before the shutdown occurs.

Any ideas as to what would cause that?

BTW, where do I check for the auto shutdown timer?
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

@Ash123
Did you read my earlier post?
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

Yes, i installed 3.5. You mean the powersave thing? Where do I set it to false within xbmc?
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

My first reply, 3rd from the top.
Read the whole thing, especially past the links.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »