exclude HD content semi-automatically?

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
Gucek001

exclude HD content semi-automatically?

Post by Gucek001 »

Hi!

Is there any (planned) way to exclude content "unplayable" by Xbox from appearing? OTOH it would be probably easier now to manually add just SD content to Xbox because much more on my server is in 720p+.. Then again - it's still plenty of folders.

I would love to see all SD 4:3 stuff on my Sony Trinitron 29'' while sticking to 27'' UHD monitor for all 16:9 HD+ content.. Of course I still *can* do that - I just have to be careful when choosing them on Xbox.. ;)

TIA!
Jacek
Dom DXecutioner

Re: exclude HD content semi-automatically?

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

I'm not aware of any plans to implement this feature, and quite frankly, I doubt it will be done.

Under normal circumstances, when scanning, xbmc will query the file to attempt to obtain details such as audio and video codecs as well as resolution, however, this has been disabled ( possibly removed ) for the xbox as it takes significantly longer to scan depending on how big the library may be.

As an alternative, you can always organize your media folders to separate the SD and HD content, then simply add the SD content source to xbmc ensuring only SD content is added to your library.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

Those items are included in the nfo files if you scrape them with media companion
Gucek001

Post by Gucek001 »

yeah.. most of the content has been scraped by PC already.. that's what I thought (that I will have to maybe use separate file/folder rights just for specific Xbox shares)
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

If you're using video library, you can do this yourself by naming your HD videos appropriately (e.g. whatever-720p.mp4) and then exclude them through advancedsettings.xml settings:

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/UserDa ... listing.3E

Contains regular expressions to match filenames or folders which should be excluded from a library scan (except tvshows). This can be for both Video or Audio sections of advancedsettings.xml.

Code: Select all

<video>
  <excludefromscan>
    <regexp>-trailer</regexp>
    <regexp>[._- ]sample</regexp>
    <regexp>-720p</regexp>
  </excludefromscan>
 </video>
As a user I would tend to agree it would be nice if the scanner / scraper would be able to identify the content by looking at the file headers and when trying to play it to figure out somehow whether it would be possible to play and to at least warn you about it (I don't know if hiding is the best thing, you start doubting yourself, should be there, why isn't there). At the same time, that sounds like a consisent chunk of work and there just isn't anyone available to do it.
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

@Dan, nice! Didn't know you can do that, thank you for the detailed info.
Gucek001

Post by Gucek001 »

uhm.. great.. *but* why "excluding tvshows"?!? TV shows are actually the main reason I asked this question.. even older movies can be downloaded in HD as originally they were on the film - so usually it's a question of re-scanning the media, and there are plenty of movies from 50s' that can be found in HD.. it's not gonna happen for TV shows as they were originally recorded on tape and no amount of magic can make them (real) 720p+ (sometimes it's even a problem finding a decent VHS copy as some were never released on DVD..)
:)
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

If you want TV Shows then you probably need:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/UserDa ... romscan.3E
Contains regular expressions to match filenames or folders which should be excluded from a tvshow library scan.

Code: Select all

<video>
  <excludetvshowsfromscan>
    <regexp>[-._ ]sample[-._ ]</regexp>
    <regexp>-hd</regexp>  <!-- or whatever marker you use for HD tv episodes / shows -->
  </excludetvshowsfromscan>
 </video>