Xbmc xbox 3.3: 'Error - install impossible'

If you need any help with XBMC4XBOX, such as installing or using the software, please post it in here.
jeroentje

Xbmc xbox 3.3: 'Error - install impossible'

Post by jeroentje »

Hello everybody,

Im new to this forum, but i've had a 'modded' xbox for years now. So you will see me more often in the future:) I recently changed/updated to version 3.3 and everything seems to work well :) However, I added Super repo. Looks okay, i can access all the zip files super repo offers. But when i try to download Super repo an error occurs:

Error - install impossible

There is already a folder listed called 'addons4xbox installer' which i tryed to install any zip files through as well, same error occurs.

Here is my log file:

http://pastebin.com/q0Fp8XR6

As i said before i'm new to this forum, so hopefully i've done this accordingly.

If you need more information or so, please reply in this post ;)

Thanks a lot!

Jeroen
jeroentje

Re: Xbmc xbox 3.3: 'Error - install impossible'

Post by jeroentje »

nobody? :cry: Iam sure somebody knows a solution..
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

What is a "super repo" and where can we find it?

Your log ends abruptly, it's not a DEBUG log and it contains no information about the scenario you mention. Read this again:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=6&t=65
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

super repo is a repository containing a lot of addons - and significantly a lot of addons with questionable legality (no support will be given for such addons).

However you are very unlikely to get any addons working out of the box on xbmc4xbox 3.3 - compatibility is very poor as xbmc4xbox has only python 2.4 and is missing lots of other stuff. the addons4xbox installer with xbmc4xbox 3.3 is also unable to install dependencies correctly. I recommend you use the latest xbmc4xbox 3.5 release candidate if wanting to run xbmc addons.
jeroentje

Post by jeroentje »

BuZz wrote:super repo is a repository containing a lot of addons - and significantly a lot of addons with questionable legality (no support will be given for such addons).

However you are very unlikely to get any addons working out of the box on xbmc4xbox 3.3 - compatibility is very poor as xbmc4xbox has only python 2.4 and is missing lots of other stuff. the addons4xbox installer with xbmc4xbox 3.3 is also unable to install dependencies correctly. I recommend you use the latest xbmc4xbox 3.5 release candidate if wanting to run xbmc addons.
Okay, ive updated it to 3.5. now, im able to install plugins through addons4xbox. whats the difference with scrips and plugins, and which ones to you recommend to install?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

jeroentje wrote:Okay, ive updated it to 3.5. now, im able to install plugins through addons4xbox. whats the difference with scrips and plugins, and which ones to you recommend to install?
I can't really recommend any - it depends what you want to do and what country you are in (for geolocked video streaming etc).
Scripts offer you flexibility and full control over the XBMC GUI, plugins allow you to quickly and consistently present information to the user through the standard XBMC menu structure.

When a user launches a plugin, the plugin generates a list of menu items and hands them to XBMC to draw on the screen (regardless of screen resolution, skin, or any other user setting). While plugin developers lose some amount of control over the presentation, they no longer have to make up their own UIs, or worry about creating a usable look and feel across multiple displays.

Plugins are most commonly used to scrape websites for links to streaming videos, displaying the video list in XBMC just like it would movie files on the local hard drive, but a plugin can be used anywhere a script could, as long as the menu structure is a sufficient GUI for the add-on's needs.
(from xbmc wiki)
jeroentje

Post by jeroentje »

BuZz wrote:
jeroentje wrote:Okay, ive updated it to 3.5. now, im able to install plugins through addons4xbox. whats the difference with scrips and plugins, and which ones to you recommend to install?
I can't really recommend any - it depends what you want to do and what country you are in (for geolocked video streaming etc).
Scripts offer you flexibility and full control over the XBMC GUI, plugins allow you to quickly and consistently present information to the user through the standard XBMC menu structure.

When a user launches a plugin, the plugin generates a list of menu items and hands them to XBMC to draw on the screen (regardless of screen resolution, skin, or any other user setting). While plugin developers lose some amount of control over the presentation, they no longer have to make up their own UIs, or worry about creating a usable look and feel across multiple displays.

Plugins are most commonly used to scrape websites for links to streaming videos, displaying the video list in XBMC just like it would movie files on the local hard drive, but a plugin can be used anywhere a script could, as long as the menu structure is a sufficient GUI for the add-on's needs.
(from xbmc wiki)
Anything which is possible! I have no idea what this thing can, and what it can't. Yes, i have read that a few times but i stil have no idea what it means :oops:
jeroentje

Post by jeroentje »

guess what, ive updated to 3.5 now, the start screen is stuck everytime i start my xbox.. basically i can't do a thing :(
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

You said you had updated earlier and it was working ? What has changed since then ?

You will need to boot into another dash and get the xbmc.log file off which might contain some info (and you can use the dash to do a fresh install via ftp).
jeroentje

Post by jeroentje »

BuZz wrote:You said you had updated earlier and it was working ? What has changed since then ?

You will need to boot into another dash and get the xbmc.log file off which might contain some info (and you can use the dash to do a fresh install via ftp).
Nothing.. and now it works again.. lol? Will have a look tomorrow evening. let you guys know!