5l1p

Re: [Skin] Rapier Clarity Mod (3.5.44)

Post by 5l1p »

Thanks for the present byron :)
Merry Christmas to you!
Oldxboxusa

Post by Oldxboxusa »

I found a graphics issue. It is when I play a video in the foreground there are characters named "pause" and in the background is the name "pausiert". Is the skin from the same source as the original xbmc/kodi rapier skin?
byron

Post by byron »

Hello friend, thanks for the heads up...would you please be kind enough to post a screenshot of this the next time you run across it (so I have an idea where/what to look for)? I can only imagine how many little things will pop up now that I've changed so much in the past few months, however this is the only one reported so maybe I got rid of most of them before uploading my work to google code :?
Oldxboxusa wrote:Is the skin from the same source as the original xbmc/kodi rapier skin?
Yes and no...it's a split from where Scarfa's work (original dev) was changed by Qualar. And on top of that much of what I started with is gone anyway. There is very little original code left, however the main concepts of rapier are still present from the original dev imo (part of my mission is to keep that in tact). Afaik Scarfa is no longer maintaining this for mainline, but don't know for sure...I know I asked that person for permission to change things and permission was granted so all is good as far as I'm concerned.
from original post byron wrote:-I started with Rapier Qualar Mod 3.13 as it was the last version available for use on xbox (I couldn't find an actual source code for it so download this if you want to actually see what I was working with). Here is Qualar's thread if you're interested (credit is due)
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I have a graphics issue in 720p.

I recently purchased an upgraded 1ghz 128mb board. So I'm running everything in 720p.

In the latest few changes in noticed some errors.

I'll post back with examples soon.
byron

Post by byron »

I shook the tree pretty hard recently, not surprised that there are issues. The sooner I know what they are the sooner I can fix them :)
Oldxboxusa

Post by Oldxboxusa »

No problem Byron. The question is only for my own interesting. I was not really shure about that, because at the moment I have a problem with my health. The medicine makes me forgotten. Sorry about that.

This is what i mean:
screenshot005.jpg
byron

Post by byron »

Thank you for the very clear illustration of what you were describing, very much appreciated. It should be taken care of at this point (r176), so thanks for bringing it to my attention. Also best of luck with whatever is ailing you - be well.
fxmech

Re: [Skin] Rapier Clarity Mod (3.5.45)

Post by fxmech »

I just now realized there is no "plugins" entry in the music submenu.

another thing is the progress bar during playback. confluence lite will show the amount of video stream that is buffered / downloaded visually in the progress bar. can you please add this handy feature?

Also, it seems I've killed the RCB script - it no longer launches properly after an initial misconfiguration. How can I "reset" the scripts within a skin without losing customized menu entries and other skin settings?

edit
Note, I have an SVN checkout of the skin. I have neglected my earlier promised bug reports but those seemingly were fixed or a fresh install of the skin fixed something. thanks byron
byron

Post by byron »

fxmech wrote:I just now realized there is no "plugins" entry in the music submenu.

another thing is the progress bar during playback. confluence lite will show the amount of video stream that is buffered / downloaded visually in the progress bar. can you please add this handy feature?
Done and done ;) 5lip had mentioned the cached progress bar before and I finally figured out what you guys were referring to...it's there now (r188).

As far as RCB is concerned find and delete Q://userdata/script_data/Rom Collection Browser and Q://userdata/addon_data/script.games.rom.collection.browser and that should make it as if it has never been run before. You can try refering to this video before your first run (perhaps it might help):

https://code.google.com/p/romcollection ... i/FirstUse

And keep in mind all I've done so far is get the labels to show up - and successfully setup, scrape and launch one snes rom with success as a test...that means it works but it doesn't mean there aren't a ton of bugs...
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Something needs to be done with the layout during playback. Paused or buffering should be moved out of the top area of the screen.

While buffering or paused and trying to read the buffer with the video info on screen (white key), stuff overlaps. Debugging on makes this even harder to read.

I'll post up a screenshot when I get home

... On a roll here...

Can you make the boot sound a toggle in the options? Possibly a configurable file or playlist?
byron

Post by byron »

fxmech wrote:Something needs to be done with the layout during playback. Paused or buffering should be moved out of the top area of the screen.
I disagree...however it wouldn't be a big deal to add a skin setting to disable the action icon/label completely for someone such as yourself that doesn't care for it.
While buffering or paused and trying to read the buffer with the video info on screen (white key), stuff overlaps. Debugging on makes this even harder to read.
action icon.jpg
Not sure what you mean, I spent much time trying to perfect the animation that squeezes the info to the left for the brief amount of thime that the action icon is visible...I feel like it's actually pretty seemless. While it's fading in the info "contracts" left and when it fades out it expands back to the right. If yours isn't doing that then somethings wrong, or perhaps you're referring to something else? As for the debug info, you're right and I agree that it's annoying but not something that's really too big of a deal imo...I'm not really wanting to recreate that whole window for something that is only on when necessary to provide debug logs etc. Anyway, please post that screenshot so I can see what's overlapping and take care of it...
Can you make the boot sound a toggle in the options? Possibly a configurable file or playlist?
I know a startup playlist can be implemented so something should be possible I would think. I'll have some time this weekend to play around with it, but in the meantime you can just replace the current "startup.wav" with whatever you want (just name it startup.wav) in Q://skin/rcm/sounds/startup.wav
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I'm sorry, I meant the black button during fullscreen video playback.

Looks like I forgot my screenshot :P
byron

Post by byron »

paused video info.jpg
I'm assuming this is what you're describing...and you're correct, some repositioning is needed. I'll play with it this weekend and figure it out. I also understand what you're saying about the debugging too...maybe just align all of the info right?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

That is indeed the issue I was trying to report :)

Yes, alignment right will reveal the bits I'm trying to see. If the video stats are left justified it will be easier to read, but it's up to you the best way to go about it!
byron

Post by byron »

video.fullscreen.jpg
This is what I went with. Works fine -- could be refined at some point -- and is in line with other things I've done (r191)
Last edited by byron on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Great byron! I like the icon
byron

Post by byron »

fxmech wrote:Can you make the boot sound a toggle in the options? Possibly a configurable file or playlist?
StartUp.jpg
Alright, so I've added this option now (r193) - As I mentioned earlier, if you want a different startup "sound" you're going to need to manually place it in:

rcm/sounds/(and call it)sounds.wav

I tried but could not find a reasonable way around it. I added the ability to start an x4x session with a playlist, but it isn't working properly for some reason...also added the option of simply starting up with no sound at all. BTW, if you want to start off with just one audio file (any local audio file actually) just back out of playlists when choosing "enable playlist at startup" and you'll be able to set the path to whatever file you wish.
Reptile

Post by Reptile »

Hey, Byron. Noticed recently that 90% of the time I try to play video files, the entire program freezes and requires a hard reboot to get working again. I am running version 3.5.45 of the skin in XBMC4XBOX 3.5 and noticed in the changelog that this is something that you thought was fixed in this version. This is happening in both 480i and 720p, on multiple Xboxes, and ONLY when this skin is in use. All other skins play videos fine. Videos I'm trying to play vary in resolutions, but even a 320x240 mpeg file seems to be able to crash it.

It happens seconds after the video is launched, and the log file reports an error along the lines of "Unable to open previous frame" or something like that. I have monitored the RAM and CPU usage while launching videos in all skins and it's always just about the same. Of course Rapier uses more RAM and CPU than PMIII, but there is still plenty memory left to launch a video file. Even when the video is launched and played for the first few seconds, I typically have at least 20MB of RAM available.

Any idea what could be causing this?
byron

Post by byron »

@ Reptile...thanks for the post, trust me I'm quite aware of what you're describing. I've been filtering out things that are causing the issue and I'm pretty sure I've made a move in the right direction. If you wouldn't mind helping me test this out, maybe you can confirm the results that I'm seeing...after reading your post I'm guessing that you use this skin often otherwise you wouldn't have bothered reporting the issue ;)

So...rename your guisettings.xml to guisettings.bak for now. It can be found here:

xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

Once you've backed it up you can start over...x4x will boot to confluence again, so set your display up real quick and head back to r-c-m. I think a MAJOR problem with what's happening is that every custom setting I've made leaves a footprint in guisettings.xml and in turn takes cpu and ram right off the bat and then from there just causes more and more problems. You can check the diff (r194), without all of the custom settings home.xml is cut in half and .5 mb ram is added back at startup. Anyway, if you wouldn't mind testing this out and reporting back it might go a long way to helping me nip this in the bud.

If you have custom paths set up, do not despair...you can easily change back to normal by going into skin settings and ticking the skin option to allow custom settings. At that point you wouldn't want to change/delete your guisettings, but for now please try what I'm suggesting to see if it helps. Btw, please take the time to change out the whole skin (checkout head revision) as I've made these things possible by adding items to rcm/scripts and possibly other changes if you aren't current at r194 :)
Reptile

Post by Reptile »

That was quick. I'd be happy to try to help figure this out. Steps I've taken so far (please let me know if this eliminates any of the steps you're asking me to do as I'm not TOO savvy with XBMC to begin with):

1.) Tried a fresh install of the skin on a completely different Xbox with a brand-new installation of XBMC4XBOX 3.5.
2.) Tried an older version of XBMC4XBOX (3.3) as I read this was a known issue in a rather later version of XBMC in general after Googling the error in the log file. I'll try to dig the thread I was reading up again and link you to it.
3.) Played around with all of the video settings I possibly could.
4.) Again, also monitored the RAM and CPU usage quite a bit. It definitely does not seem like a RAM issue as it never even comes close to running out. The CPU spikes at 85% while loading the video, but drops back to 30-35% in the beginning of play.

Something interesting: If I launch a video in a different skin, I can actually switch back to your skin (even with the video playing in the background of the skin) without any problems. The video then continues to play fine.

And just something I noticed: Rapier Clarity Mod constantly uses about 30% of the CPU whereas most other skins only use 15%-20%. I don't really think this is the issue at all.

I had no problems when I only had one movie on the Xbox. The skin would launch it perfectly every time I was playing around with it. The only way I could make the skin crash while playing the video was when I was browsing through my games folder or pictures folder while it was playing in the background - loading all of the thumbnails and playing the movie at the same time just used up all of the available memory. However, when I added about 50 other movies to the folder, that's when it started having issues launching them. The CRAZY part is that it doesn't crash 100% of the time, just most of the time regardless of the movie's format, whether it's the same one played twice or a new one, movie length, poster art or no poster art.

On the fresh installation I was trying, high res images were not enabled - it was using the settings that it comes with.

And lastly, sorry if I'm not understanding you completely. Is 3.5.45 the latest version with all of the updated changes?