[WIP] Bello

Discussion and development of skins for XBMC4XBOX
DavPow

[WIP] Bello

Post by DavPow »

Hi guys. I'm currently playing around with the Bello skin by Nessus, and i've managed to get it running on the Xbox. Sort of. Here's a list of what's currently working/broken. I'm no coder, but if you want to help, I can upload the files. The skin is very broken, so I don't recommend you test it on your main Xbox. (I did because I'm stupid) Skin also has 15mb ram free on a 64mb console, so there is still some optimization to do. I started downscaling some of the wallpaper and menu textures.
movies = not working (black screen, can go back to menu)
music = glitchy but working
pictures = same as music
programs = same as music
add-ons = not working
weather = working
settings = working but very glitchy
rss feed = working
favorites = working
search = not working
power menu = working
profiles = not working
system info = working
Here's some screenshots of it running on the Xbox (not the WIN32 build) (Sorry for them being in french, I can't change the language because the settings don't work... :lol:)

System info:

Main menu:

Power menu:

Settings:

Weather:

Music:

Music playback:

There's still quite a bit of work to do to get that skin working correctly. Hopefully I'm going to be able to get stuff working, because I really like this skin.
Last edited by DavPow on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xlink Kai: DavPow
V1.0, Crystal case, OpenXenium + iND BIOS 5003, 1TB HDD (WD WD10EZEX), XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3, XBMC4Gamers
DavPow

Re: Bello

Post by DavPow »

Fixed some textures (forgot a folder in the .xpr lol). Also converted the strings.po to .xml using Dan Dar3's awesome python script, so now strings that were missing are working. The skin is starting to look the way it should. :D

Ram usage is still very high. Look at that FreeMem. :lol:
V1.0, Crystal case, OpenXenium + iND BIOS 5003, 1TB HDD (WD WD10EZEX), XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3, XBMC4Gamers
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

Looks nice...keep up the good work !!
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

sealeysonic wrote:Looks nice...keep up the good work !!
Thanks!
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

Settings are starting to work :)
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Byron has had really good results removing includes to help free mem. Maybe he can advise for this particular skin?

Good work, by the way. I'll have a box to test it on in 2 weeks at the earliest, though.
byron

Post by byron »

DavPow wrote: Skin also has 15mb ram free on a 64mb console, so there is still some optimization to do. I started downscaling some of the wallpaper and menu textures
That'll definitely get you moving in the right direction...what kind of errors is your debug log showing you? I spent the better part of two months porting transparency!, and the less errors I had the more ram it freed up. I actually meant to do a tutorial on all of the windows I had to delete/add, all of the functions that didn't jive, etc. but I got busy and unfortunately never got around to it. There's a ton of stuff you need to do to make it cross over properly, but at least you got it running :) I'll see if I can produce some sort of a diff from transparency! so you can see what I did (or you can check the code for yourself).

I can tell you off the top of my head that I got rid of all pvr/tv (which consumed literally days of gutting out the conditional visiblity for them), I had to recreate music/video scan dialogs, had to recreate MyVideo.xml (doesn't exist on mainline anymore), I think I had to make Programs.xml --- the list just goes on and on --- I gotta produce a diff for you to look at. In the meantime, you're more than welcome to pick my brain if you need some help.

-EDIT-

Okay, here's a patch comparing 720p folders (I'm the working copy). You can look at it from the link but I couldn't figure out how to use the colored lines through dropbox so probably needs to be opened in some text editor to be less confusing. I tried uploading it to pastbin but it's too damn big...

FILES DELETED:
  • AddonBrowser.xml
  • DialogAddonInfo.xml
  • DialogExtendedProgressBar.xml
  • DialogPeripheralManager.xml
  • DialogPeripheralSettings.xml
  • ALL PVR DIALOGS (9)
  • DialogSubtitles.xml
FILES RENAMED:
  • DialogAddonSettings.xml ==> DialogPluginSettings.xml
  • SkinSettings.xml ==> CustomSkinSettings.xml (with an id 3000-3099)
FILES CREATED:
  • MyVideo.xml
  • DialogMusicScan.xml
  • DialogVideoScan.xml
I also deleted all of the views.xml's (hardcoded them), and got rid of many other includes files that were skin specific, but the lists above are mostly mainline specific stuff that won't work on our platform afaik, or file names that are different for x4x etc...hope this is somewhat helpful to you and what you're trying to do.
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

byron wrote:
DavPow wrote: Skin also has 15mb ram free on a 64mb console, so there is still some optimization to do. I started downscaling some of the wallpaper and menu textures
That'll definitely get you moving in the right direction...what kind of errors is your debug log showing you? I spent the better part of two months porting transparency!, and the less errors I had the more ram it freed up. I actually meant to do a tutorial on all of the windows I had to delete/add, all of the functions that didn't jive, etc. but I got busy and unfortunately never got around to it. There's a ton of stuff you need to do to make it cross over properly, but at least you got it running :) I'll see if I can produce some sort of a diff from transparency! so you can see what I did (or you can check the code for yourself).

I can tell you off the top of my head that I got rid of all pvr/tv (which consumed literally days of gutting out the conditional visiblity for them), I had to recreate music/video scan dialogs, had to recreate MyVideo.xml (doesn't exist on mainline anymore), I think I had to make Programs.xml --- the list just goes on and on --- I gotta produce a diff for you to look at. In the meantime, you're more than welcome to pick my brain if you need some help.

-EDIT-

Okay, here's a patch comparing 720p folders (I'm the working copy). You can look at it from the link but I couldn't figure out how to use the colored lines through dropbox so probably needs to be opened in some text editor to be less confusing. I tried uploading it to pastbin but it's too damn big...

FILES DELETED:
  • AddonBrowser.xml
  • DialogAddonInfo.xml
  • DialogExtendedProgressBar.xml
  • DialogPeripheralManager.xml
  • DialogPeripheralSettings.xml
  • ALL PVR DIALOGS (9)
  • DialogSubtitles.xml
FILES RENAMED:
  • DialogAddonSettings.xml ==> DialogPluginSettings.xml
  • SkinSettings.xml ==> CustomSkinSettings.xml (with an id 3000-3099)
FILES CREATED:
  • MyVideo.xml
  • DialogMusicScan.xml
  • DialogVideoScan.xml
I also deleted all of the views.xml's (hardcoded them), and got rid of many other includes files that were skin specific, but the lists above are mostly mainline specific stuff that won't work on our platform afaik, or file names that are different for x4x etc...hope this is somewhat helpful to you and what you're trying to do.

Awesome! Thanks alot dude. This should help alot. :)
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Looks great! :D
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

Geeba wrote:Looks great! :D
Thank you!
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

Have you guys ever encountered this problem before?

This only happens when playing music (for now). It also does not always glitch up. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I don't really have a clue of what causes it.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

maybe you dont have any ram left? I think when playing music ram is heavily influenced by the bitrate and format you play
byron

Post by byron »

@DavPow...if you wouldn't mind I'd like to help a bit. Could you pm a link so I can get this skin in front of me in the current state of your work? I think it might be beneficial to put this into my svn project branches and then we could easily collaborate. It would be good for both of us I think...I would give you full acces to everything of course. Just a thought, but if you're not comfy with that at least I could help with home.xm if you provide a link.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

You guys should come on TS sometimes, it's pretty much the best way to collaborate after source revision control. DavPow is there pretty much every night. :)
Music and video are playing on a 128MB machine, but it's using over 64MB of RAM. No glitch like in DavPow last screenshot.

DavPow

Post by DavPow »

byron wrote:@DavPow...if you wouldn't mind I'd like to help a bit. Could you pm a link so I can get this skin in front of me in the current state of your work? I think it might be beneficial to put this into my svn project branches and then we could easily collaborate. It would be good for both of us I think...I would give you full acces to everything of course. Just a thought, but if you're not comfy with that at least I could help with home.xm if you provide a link.
Sure! I could do that. Do you want me to sent the extracted textures too?
byron

Post by byron »

DavePow wrote:Do you want me to sent the extracted textures too?
It might take a bit longer to upload that way, so if you have an "unprotected" xpr that would be fine I can just open here...if not then yes (I wouldn't mind taking a peek at the textures) :) As I was saying previously, if you're wanting to go with SVN (which is awesome and easy) I've started another project here:

https://code.google.com/p/xbmc4xbox-opt ... ce/browse/

You and I could easily collaborate and work together on it...I would just upload it into it's own project folder and you/we could go from there. At any rate this should be fun.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I hope to see a very long list of skins on that repo someday. For what is worth, anything put on SVN will inspire my help.
Geeba

Re: [WIP] Bello

Post by Geeba »

This is a really good looking skin! Any more progress on getting it running smoothly? Maybe it could become a 128mb skin.... 8-)
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

Thanks ! And yeah, byron did a great job fixing alot of little bugs. I will start to work on it again soon, It's just that right now I have alot of exams at school (finishes in barely a week) after that, I will be good to play around with it more seriously.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

I tried this skin and it works fluent and looks wonderful. And the music didnt crash for me even when playing flac there was no difference in ram than 192kbps mp3.
But when zooming in or out the skin it crashes at 18% and -18% when coming from 20% resp. -20%. Also I think that the ram usage could be improved (maybe smaller textures or some functions disabled). Please continue work on this in my opinion it is one of the 5 best skins for xbmc4xbox ;)

e: what you can maybe fix is when volume up and down the text is much to long and overwrites the values