XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

spicemuseum

Re: XBOX 2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial

Post by spicemuseum »

jims5150 wrote:...sata extenders make the job neater.
No cutting away at the hard drive cradle.
I've never needed to cut away any part of the hard disc caddy to accommodate a SATA-IDE converter.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I tried installing a 2TB drive in my XBOX with HeXen after flashing my TSOP with x2, but now I can't even boot off of HeXen any more. A 500gb drive with the same SATA to IDE adapter works (yet booting into XBMC takes about 15-20 seconds - much slower than a softmod)...
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

UJLammy wrote:I'm not sure if the Sabrent adapter has been revised or if I got a busted one but I couldn't get it to work.
I tested it with these 2 HDDs:
Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2 TB SATA2 5400rpm 32 MB HD204UI/Z4
Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA 7200rpm 32MB ST3500320AS
Both hard drives work flawlessly on a PC.
I tested on 2 different XBOX systems, 1st is a 1.1 with X2-5035 TSOP flash and the 2nd one is a 1.5 with ind-5003.67 TSOP flash, both systems work fine with the original hard drives and have Unleash-X and all popular apps installed and working.
So basically with the Sabrent I get the exact same results with both hard drives and systems, the Slayers 2.7 disc runs horribly slow and is unusable/unresponsive. AID 4.53 detects the new hard drive formats it fine, then the AID main menu comes up and everything looks normal but when I get into most of the menus like file explorer or the dashboard installation menu I just get garbled/unreadable text and a lot of the options just trigger a reboot.
I tried Chimp2618, it detects the new hard drive and completes the cloning process with no errors, however I was unable to boot any of my XBOX systems with any of my 2 cloned hard drives.
I plugged the hard drives to my pc after this to check the contents and used Xplorer360.beta6, with both of them I get the same results, all partitions are accessible but partition 6 (F) shows weird/corrupted character file names and everything I try to copy into this partition also shows corrupted file names. All other partitions seem to be fine and I can copy and extract files with no problems and all the files are the correct sizes.
So I tried installing dashboards to both E and F anyway but still was unable to get any of my systems to boot.

One last thing I would like to mention is I actually tried another adapter prior to this, I bought this cheapo adapter from Amazon based on what I read on other threads and forums:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N7 ... 06_s00_i00
The adapter actually worked fine at first, Slayers ran at it's normal speed and was able to format with no issues, however the adapter died on me after a few minutes (to the point where it caused lock ups when connected to my PC and causing the IDE port on my PC overheat, I guess it was starting to short out)

EDIT: Forgot to add I did all these tests using 2 different Ultra DMA ATA133 cables.

I had the same exact problem (font corruption, wouldn't boot from HDD even if install was successful) you had, but changing the IDE cable to a 80 wire one (Ultra DMA ATA133) did fix it for me. Strange...
Xlink Kai: DavPow
V1.0, Crystal case, OpenXenium + iND BIOS 5003, 1TB HDD (WD WD10EZEX), XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3, XBMC4Gamers
fenderbendr

Post by fenderbendr »

Will this method work correctly on a v. 1.6 soft-modded xbox, as long as I use a compatible hdd and get the SATA to IDE adapter mentioned in the OP?

I'm currently blown away with all the possible hdd's I can purchase.

Would a compatible 500gb Western Digital hdd work well?
lavatar

Post by lavatar »

I bought a clear green xbox and installed a Aladdin XT Plus Modchip.
Yesterday i tried to use my old Samsung 2 TB HDD Sata with a IDE2Sata Adapter but without success.

I have one main problem: Which Bios Version are used to work with a 2 TB.
Several attemps with the m8 bios failed.
When i used the m8 with using 67 Partition and the xbpartitioner 1.3 and going back to the dash it
shows f: and g: with near 1 TB size. After a reboot it shows on f only 137 gb, g has no problem.
I used several M8 with different partition table settings but with many problems.
Sometimes after flashing the system it appears error code 07. The only way to fix it was to hang a other
hdd to the system and switch it after.
xman

Post by xman »

I use the M8 bioses on the 2.7 Slayer's disc myself on Seagate 2TBs. Just make sure you use the F and G drive bioses and you use the one that suits your machine type be it 1.0-1.5 or the 1.6 one. I also use that Slayers disc to build the 2TB. You must tell Slayers to build a "Large HDD". However you the need to then select "Add apps to E drive". It doesn't do this when building a "Large HDD", it uses F/apps as the booing location and you don't want this. It must boot using E/apps. Then you use Slayers to make your shortcut, this being "Make XBMC my booting app on stock HDD". Do these steps and you should have a 2TB formatted and be able to see the whole HDD however, it will not be "clustered correctly". For this you will then be using XbPt 1.3 and use it just on your F and G drives. Any issues, I'll be around. :D
lavatar

Post by lavatar »

xman wrote:I use the M8 bioses on the 2.7 Slayer's disc myself on Seagate 2TBs. Just make sure you use the F and G drive bioses and you use the one that suits your machine type be it 1.0-1.5 or the 1.6 one. I also use that Slayers disc to build the 2TB. You must tell Slayers to build a "Large HDD". However you the need to then select "Add apps to E drive". It doesn't do this when building a "Large HDD", it uses F/apps as the booing location and you don't want this. It must boot using E/apps. Then you use Slayers to make your shortcut, this being "Make XBMC my booting app on stock HDD". Do these steps and you should have a 2TB formatted and be able to see the whole HDD however, it will not be "clustered correctly". For this you will then be using XbPt 1.3 and use it just on your F and G drives. Any issues, I'll be around. :D
Thx for the Help, i will give it a try after work.

But one Question:

"Partition 6 Takes up to 137 GB / Partition 7 Takes Rest" is the 137GB wrong description ?
Is this really limited ?
xman

Post by xman »

Yer don't worry about that, That is the original Slayers default. You'll be rewriting the f and G anyway using XbPt. Just make sure you actually have both F and G drives active.
lavatar

Post by lavatar »

Now XBMC work, but it doesnt Show Drive G correct.
The Slayer DVD shows Drive G with the correct Size but XBMC tells unavailable!

I tried XBpartitioner again but without success

EDIT:

Ok i figure it out. To Solve the Problem: Booting Slayer and transfering per Network Files on G. Now it will be recognized....
xman

Post by xman »

Sometime G is there but has no size listed in filemanager in which case you just create a folder like movies or something in it and then it shows up. I have just created a folder called "A" before just to get G drive to mount correctly. It is only needed once and can be deleted afterwards. It will be erased when you recluster G drive anyway.
lavatar

Post by lavatar »

One Problem is remaining:
When i use IGR than the Xbox restart, the intro appears with the evox logo, but than it shows error code 07!
It is a little issue but it is boring
turbo.blue

Post by turbo.blue »

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I want to thank everyone for there awesome support on this subject.

The reason I signed up was to share something I thought was very interesting and may help others. I bought a cheap no name adapter from ebay. I first tried it out in my pc along with a 2.5" Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM Drive. It was detected in windows and ran the way it was suppost to. But when I tried it in my Xbox I had no luck tried multiple discs tried powering in up first with an external power supply then booting with on luck. I even tried two different HDDs, nothing. At this point I was ready to give up and buy a different adapter.

I did some more research and found out in some reviews someone had troubles in there pc with 40 pin cables, and only 80 pin cables made then work so I thought to myself a xbox isn't much different from a PC. So I swapped it out with a 80 pin, and what do you know, auto installer Deluxe booted perfectly let me format. I installed XBMC and it works flawless, boots every-time. I'm thinking this may be a problem with cheap adapters many are suffering from, and could be a possible fix that is often overlooked.
fastmem

Post by fastmem »

I also used the guide to prepare my 1,5TB SATA WD drive.

I have a strange problem. When I boot from the slayer or AID disc I can see my F and G drive with the correct size and I can access my files through FTP.
When I boot from my SATA drive in XBMC or any other dashboard the sizes of F and G are not displayed correct and I can't acces my files on these drives?
I'm using an V1.1 XBOX wich is chipmodded with an Alladin XT plus 2 (BIOS M8+)

Has anyone an idea what is wrong?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

What I'd do next is make sure UnleashX and XBPartitioner were installed somewhere on E:
Then, after ensuring there's no installer disc in the DVD drive, start each of those programs from the XBMC File Manager to see what storage they think is available.
fastmem

Post by fastmem »

I figured it out.

I had an M8+ 06 Bios when I flashed it to M8+ 67 everything worked.

So when you have an 67 bios you can use a large drive 1TB, 1,5TB or 2TB with no problems.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

fastmem wrote:I had an M8+ 06 Bios when I flashed it to M8+ 67 everything worked.
Well done.
fastmem wrote:So when you have an 67 bios you can use a large drive 1TB, 1,5TB or 2TB with no problems.
Yes, with a nnnn.06 BIOS, the xbox is unable to use partition 7 (G: drive). So you're limited to whatever the max is for partition 6 with 64k block size (eight hundred and odd gig or so...).
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

Just a note incase anyones up for a 2TB seagate Barracuda install. Here in the UK suppliers have started supplying
hybrid 2tb barracuda drives just called "Desktop " or similar on rear and not the usual ST2000DM001 that work best.
The hybrids don`t work with CHIMP, just a heads up!
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Hybrid drives don't work, period.

It needs to be a disk HDD or full SSD drive.
ldotsfan

Post by ldotsfan »

fxmech wrote:Hybrid drives don't work, period.
I'd be interested to know the underlying reason or symptoms for this so as to fix them in chimp261811.
Ldotsfan :)
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1350
Outlook is not good. Ldotsfan, I admire your compulsion to take this on personally. May the force be with you