[Video Guide] Update XBMC4Xbox Via FTP

BuZz
Site Admin

Re: [Video Guide] Update XBMC4Xbox Via FTP

Post by BuZz »

does sound like you are trying to upload a source snapshot. did you get the download from the "download page". I recently added source snapshots there.
rayborn

Post by rayborn »

awh maaaaan! Yes I was trying to ftp the latest source code file from the downloads page :lol: :oops:

OK I have pulled my trusty XBOX1 (hardmod evox) out of hibernation to tinker!

I'll check the forum for the current stable build as suggested!

Thanks for the responses...now thinking of upgrading the HDD on the XBOX1 for more fun!!!

Halo 1 veteran
garet74

Post by garet74 »

it's about five years that, for update xbmc, i overwrite inpunement the xbmc folder :) eheh after that my xbox crash but when i reboot it, after transfer, it work prefectly with the new build..i think your metod it's the best :lol:
machineshop44

Post by machineshop44 »

so I watched your update guide and I was about to follow it but when i go to the forum I do not get those links at the top of the page, im fine with ftping into my box I just need the actual build files, from what I can tell when I go to the download page and downloaded the XBMC4Xbox-3.2.1.zip file i noticed this is just a snapshot and not the actual files I need? please help I havent updated since first putting this on in like 2006! I want to start running navi-x and other scripts!
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

The binary builds are no longer offically posted on the site, but B4K3D PI has been compiling them see here http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... ?f=9&t=781
Joster

Post by Joster »

At first, sorry for kicking this topic.

How can I find out which dashboard I'm using right now? I don't have a Dash folder in E:\ or E:\Apps\ but XBMC is starting directly. It's installed in E:\Apps\XBMC

Why is it essential to use another Dash? I'm testing other versions of XBMC4Xbox using the file manager, so is it dangerous to just rename the folders as required (XBMC2 to XBMC and XBMC to XBMC_old)?

Edit:

According to XBMC I'm using this dashboard path: C:\xboxdash.xbe. I've also found the file evoxdash.xbe.org in de C:\ folder. I think I've done something at this in an earlier stadium but I can't rembember anything of it :mrgreen: Anyway, the Xbox always went directly to XBMC.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

So long as the XBMC folder you want to rename isn't currently in use it's fine to rename using filemanager. If you try and change stuff in the folder where your current dash is running from then you'll end up with problems, so long as it's not currently in use you'll be fine though.
Joster

Post by Joster »

So I assume I can't rename XBMC to XBMC2 while the current XBMC is launched. Is it possible to launch XBMC 3.2.1. stable (from default.xbe in the file manager), rename "XBMC 3.3.3 to XBMC" and rename "XBMC to XBMC2"? Or is the current "auto launch" XBMC still active in that case?

The problem is I don't understand anything about using a different dash.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

The simplest way is to just load up a different dash and then change names via ftp as shown in the video, is there any reason that's not possible?

Easiest way to try out a new dash is click on the default.xbe in filemanager as you mentioned. If you like it and want it to become your default dash that the xbox boots into then I'd suggest using Dan's XBMC SVN Installer plugin. That will allow you to make the currently running xbmc install your dash. The easiest way to do it is via ftp as shown or just loading up Evox, UnleashX or even an old XBMC build and then changing the name of your xbmc foilders.

By the way your example would almost work but you made one little mistake...
Is it possible to launch XBMC 3.2.1. stable (from default.xbe in the file manager), rename "XBMC 3.3.3 to XBMC" and rename "XBMC to XBMC2"?
If you rename XBMC 3.3.3 to XBMC you already have a folder called XBMC so it would overwrite it and you don't want that. You could rename XBMC to XBMC2 and THEN rename 3.3.3. to XBMC though :)
Joster

Post by Joster »

Thanks in the first place, I'm a disaster with things like this :)
whufclee wrote:The simplest way is to just load up a different dash and then change names via ftp as shown in the video, is there any reason that's not possible?
I really don't know how to load up a different dash. I don't even know which dash I'm using.
Easiest way to try out a new dash is click on the default.xbe in filemanager as you mentioned. If you like it and want it to become your default dash that the xbox boots into then I'd suggest using Dan's XBMC SVN Installer plugin. That will allow you to make the currently running xbmc install your dash. The easiest way to do it is via ftp as shown or just loading up Evox, UnleashX or even an old XBMC build and then changing the name of your xbmc foilders.
Which plugin is it exactly? A plugin just to make your current running xbmc your default dash? Or is it to install a version of XBMC? I've installed 3.3.3. with good testing results. So I don't need an option to install it, I just want a method to make another version of XBMC (3.3.3. in my case) my default dash that the xbox boots into. I'm running an old XBMC build as default an the xbox boots into that one.

I'm a little confused right now because of the options you gave. I suppose loading a differrtent dash is the safest way, renaming the folders the simples way.
By the way your example would almost work but you made one little mistake...

If you rename XBMC 3.3.3 to XBMC you already have a folder called XBMC so it would overwrite it and you don't want that. You could rename XBMC to XBMC2 and THEN rename 3.3.3. to XBMC though :)
True, I should - while running 3.2.1. - rename XBMC first and after that XBMC 3.3.3. Will this do the trick in a safe way?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

The addon I was referring to earlier actually recently changed it's name to "XBMC4XBOX Installer" and you can install via the Addons4Xbox Installer (it's in the programs section). It allows you to download and install the latest builds but it also gives the option of making the build you're currently using your default dash.

To be totally honest that is very user friendly and you can't really go to far wrong. The only thing you need to do is initially bring up the plugin settings and point to the root directory where you install XBMC, so in most peoples case that will be E:/Apps/ (NOT E:/Apps/XBMC).
garet74

Post by garet74 »

in the past ten years i always start xbmc then i connect with ftp and overwrite the xbmc folder ...after that the xbox crash but when i restart i haven't any problem..i have update my xbmc..it's not good doing this?
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

The short a answer is, no! The reason is because xbmc is running and it's utilizing various resources or files, if you prefer, and those files do not get updated, such as the default.xbe.
rafy80

Post by rafy80 »

I have a question if any one can help me out I just installed xbmc 3.3 and none of the repos work do I need another version for it to work correct also I can't add any repos how do I add them and install from zip file or is it a different way to add them only one works at the moment it's veetle but nothing else please help
Fastlane

Post by Fastlane »

Someone told me way back then, that i can Keep my User data folder and drop that back in after the update. So the Routine was to save User data, then delete the whole Installation folder and drop in the new one. Then i would delete the New User date folder and put my Backup back in. Then I would clear all cache files, in E:/CACHE, X, Y, Z DRIVES and save data files in (I think) 0face008 in EDATA UND UDATA.

So this is not recommended anymore?
Are there any alternatives to setting your personal preferences all over again?
Is there anything you could Keep?