Bios support and information

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
sixties keith

Bios support and information

Post by sixties keith »

so ive been searching for different bios information and was wondering if the forum could help me out, i want to compile a sort of list with the main bios'es especially the ones which have specific functions.

for example - a list of bioses with info on them, i know one allows the use of xbox without dvd drive, others support 128mb, some are just for the xecuter 3, some allow removal of flubber screen asnd others allow changing of xbox logo colour, as well as adding logos to the flubber screen such as evo x so it would be handy to have a list and what they do, can someone help me out? thanks

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
professor_jonny

Re: Bios support and information

Post by professor_jonny »

the important ones ar the unmodified evox and x2 bioses as they can be customised with the evoxtool and x2 tool with all the latest patches.

then there is the ind bios very good also but only works on a 1.0-1.5 very customisable also
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

@professor_jonny - thanks for that info mate do you know of any more? im after specifics especially the ones colour can be changed, flubber can be removed, dvd drive check skipped etc and how this can be achieved.

ok with special thanks MrMajst3r he has started just what i was after. i really cant thank you enough for this and hopefully we can build on this to get it completed.

IND-BIOS 5003

pros
easy configuration via text file (no need to re-flash bios; possible to create file on computer with Ind-Bios Config App)
256kB size (fits to every TSOP and modchip)
useful controller buttons combinations (open/close tray, restart/shutdown console, etc)
possible to put custom picture instead of Microsoft logo and XBOX text
128MB RAM support

cons
ind-bios loading text for few sec after boot
a bug in 5003 (console shutdown when back + white pressed; bug fixed in 5004 beta release)
works only with 1.0-1.5 consoles

X2 5035 / X2 5035 1.6

pros
easy configuration via text file (no need to re-flash bios; possible to create file on computer with x2 Config Maker App)
possible to put custom picture below Microsoft logo
128MB RAM support
works on 1.6 consoles too

cons
512kB size (fits only 1.0/1.1 TSOP or advanced modchips)
xecuter 2 config live loading text for sec after boot

X2 4981

pros
fast boot
128MB RAM support

cons
difficult configuration (need to edit bios file and re-flash it)
works only with 1.0-1.5 consoles

I do not recommend newer X2 4983, because it can't be edited and doesn't support an on-disk partition table.

EvoX M8+ / EvoX M8+ 1.6

pros
fast boot
works on 1.6 consoles too

cons
difficult configuration (need to edit bios file and re-flash it)
doesn’t support 128MB RAM

Can anyone expand on these, maybe add some more etc? i want to try and get a full list completed especially on how flubber can be removed and other mods described above can be done. also if anyone has any pictures of any of these bioses booting showing the 'changed' please let me know

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Some (if not all) Xecuter 2 49xx BIOSes do not support Hard Drive Partition tables.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

Thanks for this extra info MrMajst3r, your help is much appreciated

Every bios from the list could be personalized. However, every bios has default values, so configuration is not necessary.

Some of bioses has extra features, you can read how to use them below.

IND-BIOS 5003 (5004)

IND-BIOS uses text file with settings. You can prepare one with PC-based application Ind-Bios Config App. This program can inject configuration into bios file too (advanced users only). File must be named ind-bios.cfg and you have to put it in the root of C drive of Xbox.
Custom Microsoft logo has to have 200x34 pixels size and 24bit format. Transparency must be enabled in settings. File must be named mslogo.bmp and you have to put it in the root of C drive.
Custom: flubber, X-logo and Xbox-text are more difficult to prepare. In fact I don’t know exactly how. On the Internet you can download sample files. Files should be named: flubber.x, xlogo.x, text.x and you have to put them in the root of C drive of Xbox.
Shortcut keys:
Triggers + Back + Start or Black = Reset
Triggers + Back + White = Shutdown (5003 bug: Back + White)
Triggers + Back + X + Black = Power Cycle
Triggers + R-Thumb + Dpad Up = Eject Tray
Triggers + R-Thumb + Dpad Down = Close Tray

X2 5035 / X2 5035 1.6

X2 5035 uses text file with settings. You can prepare one with PC-based application X2 Config Maker or edit by hand file included with bios file. File must be named x2logo.ini and you have to put it in the root of E drive of Xbox.
Custom picture has to have 180x50 pixels size and 256 colors pallete. File must be named x2logo.bmp and you have to put it in the root of E drive.

X2 4981

Bios file edition in X2ool application is needed to change settings.

EvoX M8+ / EvoX M8+ 1.6

Bios file edition in Evtool application is needed to change settings.

General
Difference between .06 and .67 bios version:
06 means only F partition
67 means F + G partitions
I suggest using 67 versions. You will have a choice between 1 big or 2 smaller partitions. It is the only way to mount hard drive bigger than 500GB too

fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Boys,

This is perfect for the wiki. This belongs in an edited reference page [rather than/in addition to discussion]. It'll be way easier to reference this information (and way easier to find) if one of us digests all the bits and points into an informative and coherent presentation.

By the way, a wiki page for each of: compatible HDDs for locking, PATA/SATA adapters, and modchip info will be highly useful reference for the community. Among other things I'm sure.

My two cents - I may put in some work setting it up. Last year or more ago I complained the Wiki wasn't as Xbox-specific as it should be. Here's an opportunity to pull some weight around here. :)

Thanks for thinking to get all this stuff in one thread. It is very sparse and fragmented info left out there, especially on the topic of BIOS.
xman

Post by xman »

Excellent idea there fxmech. You have my blessing and any help I can give.
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

Was this "wiki" ever finalized and published?

Would be great since alot of info has vanished on the net about these bios'es
Would be great help for people who didn't have an Xbox during the years the Xbox scene was more active.
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox Crystal Green 1.2 TSOP
Xbox 1.6 softmod
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Perhaps you can find that info by reading the various bios info over at Eurasia Xbox Dumps