Timesplitters 2

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
Dubcustomz

Timesplitters 2

Post by Dubcustomz »

Is there an issue running timesplitters 2 on a modded xbox or do i just have a duff disc?
I had my xbox softmodded with xbmx a while ago, (by a member of the boards i think, he lived near me in basildon essex..think his name is Lee?) and i hated the layout and didn't use any of the extras xbmc offered so i deleted everything by deleting the files through the xbmc browser as i wanted the system to be back to factory, the original dash now loads and everything is normal except for the ability to play everything in 480p, 720p and 1080p, it still does that without issue which is pretty cool.
I have a ton of games and they all work fine, but i recently bought a copy of timesplitters 2 and it doesnt work at all...and i mean my tv literally loses the signal coming from the xbox (which is connect via component cables).
I cant even get to the splash screens before the start menu pops up, its like my xbox isnt even connected to my tv, but its still turned on and i can hear the disc spinning.
So is this an issue with having a modded xbox or is this some weird faulty disc?
And if its the former are there others games that wont work on a modded xbox?
Dubcustomz

Re: Timesplitters 2

Post by Dubcustomz »

Anyone??
Dubcustomz

Post by Dubcustomz »

Why was this moved from the help section? Its clearly a post asking for help, please someone help as i need to know if i have to return this game or not.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

I'm sorry, I thought your issue is with the game, probably with the disk or the dvd player.
Either way, you're probably more likely to get an answer over here, whether a game or hardware issue rather than in the XBMC4Xbox Help & Support section.
asbo

Post by asbo »

Dubcustomz wrote:think his name is Lee?
Pretty sure that's whufclee

I know some games require a patch to play off the hard drive but as far as I know all games play just fine off the original discs. Its probably defective.

And Dan Dar3 is right about you getting more views in this section :)
Dubcustomz

Post by Dubcustomz »

Ok thanks for the replies guys.
I find this issue perplexing as i know a faulty disc would cause the game to lock up or not load but when has a faulty disc ever caused the console to stop out putting a signal to the tv?!
Its utterly baffling which i why i thought it might be something to do with the modded console rather than the disc.
There's not a mark on the disc and its like new, which is why im looking for more info before i return it.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

The PAL version won't display an image if the system is set to NTSC & visa versa.

So you need the NTSC xbe or the PAL xbe.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Dubcustomz

Post by Dubcustomz »

Rocky5 wrote:The PAL version won't display an image if the system is set to NTSC & visa versa.

So you need the NTSC xbe or the PAL xbe.
So why does every other game for my xbox work when this does not? They are all PAL games. This is the only one with an issue.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

At this point, if you try booting another game will the xbox display anything? I agree that there could be something wrong with that game disc but you never know, it is an odd error. Since your xbox is still modded why not try to find an ISO of the game and burn it to a disc, then boot it up to see what happens?
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
Dubcustomz

Post by Dubcustomz »

Nextelhalo wrote:At this point, if you try booting another game will the xbox display anything? I agree that there could be something wrong with that game disc but you never know, it is an odd error. Since your xbox is still modded why not try to find an ISO of the game and burn it to a disc, then boot it up to see what happens?
Every other game in my collection works this is the only one with an issue. I don't know how to do any of that other stuff with the xbox, i deleted xbmc off of the system, as i didn't like it and i just use the original dash now but the options for higher resolutions still remain.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

The reason it doesn't work is because the game has its own checks & disabled the video signal if it's not the desired region it expects.

Only way round it is to patch out these checks or just use the NTSC XBE.
(I had a patch up on TIZ that legally patches the xbe, but I think it got lost in the move)
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Dubcustomz

Post by Dubcustomz »

Rocky5 wrote:The reason it doesn't work is because the game has its own checks & disabled the video signal if it's not the desired region it expects.

Only way round it is to patch out these checks or just use the NTSC XBE.
(I had a patch up on TIZ that legally patches the xbe, but I think it got lost in the move)
Ok that makes sense then. Guess i'll just have to return it and play the ps2 version instead. Are there any other xbox games that will do this? Out of my 60+ collection this is the only one that wont play, even this game's own sequel works.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

I will send you the patch you apply to the xbe.

It's the only game I have come across.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Dubcustomz

Post by Dubcustomz »

Rocky5 wrote:I will send you the patch you apply to the xbe.

It's the only game I have come across.
Thanks but I have no clue how to do that.
Plus i deleted the xbmc browser off my system. I cant access any files or anything like that its just the standard xbox browser/dash now, the only thing left over from the mod is the option to play in 480p, 720p and 1080i.
Like i said a forum member did the softmod for me last year so i have no clue how to do anything like that myself, if its even possible at this point after i deleted xbmc off the system.
If there is anything we can do at this stage that wont mess anything else up and fix the issue and doesnt require buying anything then im all for it.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Sorry to add this a bit late but the patched XBE that Rocky5 referred to is simply that, a patched default.xbe which in essence converts it to NTSC. That way it will run at 480p on a PAL console region changed to NTSC. Obviously the game has to be installed first (DVD2Xbox) and then the patched 'NTSC' XBE simply replaces the existing default.xbe in the game folder. The original is best renamed rather than deleted, eg. to default-orig.xbe, default.xbe-org or something like that.

I've installed the same patched default.xbe about a year ago and being able to use my originally PAL game without having to region swap the console each time has been really helpful. I've put many more hours into it because of that. I've beaten several of the Arcade Platinum Trophys that had been alluding me for years but there are still others I haven't beaten (of those not glitched) which are insanely hard. I'll probably be trying to beat some of those years from now.

What nobody here seems to have made clear is that the OP could have been playing Timesplitters 2 even without this patched XBE if he'd simply used the Enigmah region changer to swap the Xbox back to PAL. It would only have supported 480i/60Hz of course but assuming that the Component input on the TV suppported interlaced signals there would have been no problem apart from the drop in PQ.