Install XBMC on F: using HeXEn (and also on E: [SOLVED])

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
spicemuseum

Install XBMC on F: using HeXEn (and also on E: [SOLVED])

Post by spicemuseum »

I am trying something a little different to my normal softmodding to get max usage out of a standard 10GB hard disc.

1. I have enabled F: using XboxPartitioner on HeXEn - works as expected, no problem.

2. I then install XBMC to F: using HeXEn - again apparently no problem.

3. Then reboot and expect it to boot XBMC (on F:). But it doesn't :-(

4. I use the Change Dashboard option, apparently successfully, but after re-booting it still doesn't boot to XBMC on F:.

5. I use the Dashboard Repair option (for Krayzie, my softmod) and it tells me the batch process failed because XBMC hasn't been installed - but it has, I can see it and run it from File Manager.

6. Repeat 2. and 4. and 5. with same outcome, revert to XBMC4XBOX Forum for help, please.
Last edited by spicemuseum on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZImmortal

Re: Install XBMC on F: using HeXEn

Post by AZImmortal »

I don't normally deal with softmods, but I'm guessing that your dash must be booting from somewhere like E:\dashboard or something along those lines? You can use a shortcut.xbe (which can be found here), place it in your dashboard folder with the same name as your current dashboard, and have it point to XBMC on your F: drive. All of the instructions are in the wiki link.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

When you placed XBMC on F, did you place it under F:\Apps ? That could be your issue.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Based on the wording of his post, it doesn't sound like he personally place it himself anywhere and had HeXEn place it for him, although I've never used HeXEn so I have no idea how much of a choice it gives you in regards to the placement of apps.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

AZImmortal wrote:Based on the wording of his post, it doesn't sound like he personally place it himself anywhere and had HeXEn place it for him
Correct.
The installer places it in E:/Apps/XBMC or F:Apps/XBMC depending on whether you choose the option to install it on E or F.

I too came to the conclusion that it wasn't properly installer the Team XBMC Shortcut, so thanks for your suggestion, I'm following the Wiki page on that right now. Will post back with results. Hopefully Heimdall can comment later.

**EDIT**
First attempt failed, replacing C:\xboxdash.xbe with the shortcut xbe (renamed to xboxdash.xbe) and adding xboxdash.cfg containing the path to XBMC default.xbe resulted in the same outcome, still boots to UnleashX.

More thinking required.
xman

Post by xman »

Try putting XBMC in F Drive and not F/ Apps and see if that works. I may be wrong but I thought HeXEn used the drive and not the apps folder. Also, why not use C drive?. It's good for nothing else really and it boots quick.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

A little more info, clicking on xboxdash.xbe in C:\ launches XBMC in F:\Apps , so the Team XBMC Shortcut is working.

But obviously my Krayzie softmod isn't booting from cold start using C:\xboxdash.xbe, nor is it booting from default.xbe in C: - I tried adding one of those too.

I wonder whether there is some shadow C thing going on here?
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

Did you install your softmod using HeXEn? If not then using HeXEn to install XBMC still requires you to manually add any shortcuts if you want to use XBMC on F as your primary booting dash. It would take a while to explain in detail (especially as I'm watching MOTD at the moment!), but the short version is that when you use HeXEn to install a softmod it also pre-places all of the dashboard and shortcut files, so that later when you want to change your primary booting dash using the HeXEn batch file, all the batch file does is swap a couple of files around on the E partition.

XBMC on shadow C is a really bad idea under all circumstances, as indeed is XBMC on F if you want it as your primary boot dash. Your primary dash should always be on E, because it's the only partition that is always available regardless of your mod or the extended drive configuration in your mod.

You should never mess with xboxdash.xbe on any mod. Ever. It certainly has nothing to do with which dash boots with any of the currently used softmods.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Heimdall wrote:Did you install your softmod using HeXEn?
Yes, but I'm going to start from scratch because your advice suggests something didn't work as it should have.
Heimdall wrote:If not then using HeXEn to install XBMC still requires you to manually add any shortcuts if you want to use XBMC on F as your primary booting dash. It would take a while to explain in detail (especially as I'm watching MOTD at the moment!), but the short version is that when you use HeXEn to install a softmod it also pre-places all of the dashboard and shortcut files, so that later when you want to change your primary booting dash using the HeXEn batch file, all the batch file does is swap a couple of files around on the E partition... You should never mess with xboxdash.xbe on any mod. Ever. It certainly has nothing to do with which dash boots with any of the currently used softmods.
Noted, I'd appreciate a quick walkthrough of the boot process and files involved - or a pointer at further reading - so I'm able to troubleshoot this sort of problem in future.

BTW, I'm not too concerned about having my primary dash on F: , I've got all the HeXEn/Krayzie tools and exploit files in the right places if I ever need to recover anything.
spicemuseum

Re: Install XBMC on *** E: *** using HeXEn

Post by spicemuseum »

I just had the same thing happen again, but this time when installing to E: . Whilst I didn't find an answer last time, this time I discovered this post...
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... ard#p17848
which suggests I need to put the team xbmc shortcut files in E:/Dashboard

*** EDIT ***
So I did, and it worked :-)
Last edited by spicemuseum on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xman

Post by xman »

Spice, why not put it in C drive?. Not real sure how much you require for softmods to be in C but in hardmods, there isn't much in there that is important and C can hold at least one build of XBMC. I personally hate F drive but that is because of issues with 1 and 2Tb machines which make it real obvious, F drive is the last to come online. C and E are the fastest followed by G then finally F. I have tested this using multi bios locations on the modchip of sata HDD machines and then checked to see which drive actually booted the machine. When ever I used F as the 1st boot path, it failed every time.
spicemuseum

[SOLVED] Install XBMC on *** E: *** using HeXEn

Post by spicemuseum »

xman wrote:Spice, why not put it in C drive?
Because softmods require "special" treatment. Read here...
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... ard#p17836
And here...
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 091#p17354

This is a Krayzie softmod, and the dash boots from a specific location which can't be changed without serious surgery on the run-time loaded BIOS. And I've grown out of 'specials'.

BTW, putting the team xbmc shortcut files in E:/Dashboard worked :-)
mrmajikbus45

Re: Install XBMC on F: using HeXEn (and also on E: [SOLVED])

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Bull, use a Slayer's disc and set the path. Put XBMC in either E:\Apps\ or F:\Apps\ and chose the correct variant.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

mrmajikbus45 wrote:Bull...
:shock:
Whilst I get myself a strong cup of camomile tea to overcome the (how should I say...?) 'direct' response, perhaps you could point at which bit you think is, ahem, not correct?
xman

Post by xman »

mrmajikbus45 wrote:Bull, use a Slayer's disc and set the path. Put XBMC in either E:\Apps\ or F:\Apps\ and chose the correct variant.
That is how I would have done it myself actually because I use Slayers for everything but the shortcut maker will do the same job and let's be happy Spice has it sorted aye. :D In my response is was sort of sure softmods all but get used up but wasn't quite sure. On hardmods the C drive is all but empty. I thought it a good idea to use C as my son's screen saves location. Silly me didn't consider he would max it out like he did. It was then I started seeing problems to go along with the MS warning stating the C drive was full. :roll:
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Maybe I was a bit too "direct", and I apologize for that. Glad you sorted that out though. I only have one question... Why the need for chamomile tea for that comment? I was a bit perplexed.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Sorry for the double post, and what I was saying "Bull" to was the softmods needing special treatment, not your solution.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

mrmajikbus45 wrote:Why the need for chamomile tea for that comment? I was a bit perplexed.
Bad vibes make me feel anxious and unloved. Camomile's good for that ...and menstrual cramps.

I'd still appreciate being corrected on anything I got wrong in my post though, always ready to learn...

***edit***
Just seen your second reply. Softmods need special (i.e. different) treatment to hardmods because you have limited flexibility over which BIOS gets loaded at runtime, and which path and filename it looks for to run its .xbe.
Last edited by spicemuseum on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

I always assumed you were a guy. Guess I can be wrong. :) All I was stating was that softmods are not really touchy. You just give the dash a home and set the xbox to look for it there. I find them easy personally.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!