Home > News, Releases > XBMC4Xbox 3.5 Beta 1 is now available

XBMC4Xbox 3.5 Beta 1 is now available

December 30th, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

A late Happy Xmas to you all, and wishing the best for the new year. What better than to give you a new XBMC4XBox release to test though. Just in time :)

The 3.5 Beta 1 release has seen a massive amount of work from the last stable, and includes all fixes from 3.3.3, but has been ongoing in development since the first 3.3 release. Released now as a Beta 1 as it does require some further testing, and there may be new issues or regressions, but I would encourage people to try it alongside the current stable and feed back any problems via the forum or bugtracker.

Changes include:

• Python 2.7.5 – includes working libraries for sqlite3, and fully working ssl. This brings far better compatibility with upstream XBMC plugins, and logging in on YouTube etc works, which it never did on the previous Python 2.4. This took many hours of work to do including building working python libraries compatible with the XBMC4Xbox architecture. Bugs may remain, but I hope it will be an improvement for most people.
  • DVDPlayer has been updated to the FFMPEG 1.2 libraries which brings improved codec support, and new features. We still include two sets of FFMPEG libraries, one for the most common formats, and another which has everything.  Webm and XMV support is now added to the smaller library set, but please do report any issues/questions on the forum.
  • Skin changes from XBMC to make backporting of xbmc skins easier.
  • Many bug fixes and other improvements – you can always check on development activity via the Redmine activity page.

Many thanks as usual to the XBMC project for without their support and open source licence, we could not exist. Many congrats to them on the release of Frodo 12.3, and we are all exciting about their upcoming Gotham 13 release too. Cheers :)

Big thanks to all contributors, including a special thanks to Dan Dar3 for many bug fixes and his ongoing work on XBMC4Xbox Remote, to the many people who help in the of the running the forum, and those who have contributed financially to the project. My personal thanks to XPhazer, Ghostly, Xman, and co for moral support, and to Dom, Byron and others for providing users with skin customisations.

If you enjoy using XBMC4Xbox and want to show your support for the ongoing development please consider making a donation to the project. Please also do join in the discussions over at our Forum.

See the development page for links to the source code and the svn repository. For binary builds, read the information on the download page.

Categories: News, Releases Tags:
  1. Reket
    December 30th, 2013 at 01:53 | #1

Great news for the new year :)

2. GoTeamScotch
    December 30th, 2013 at 02:17 | #2

Aw, it’s just what I wanted. ;)

I’m excited to see how the new Python base will help devs adapt Xbmc plugins to work for Xbox. Thanks everyone for all your hard work to keep a 10+ year old piece of hardware useful on a daily basis.

Side note: 3.5? Why not 3.4?

• BuZz
      December 30th, 2013 at 05:13 | #3

well, 3.2 to 3.3 looked like a minor update, but it was a year’s work – I have been rather conservativeon version numbers, so even though I should have bumped more, I thought we could do 3.5 then 4.0 later before I go into retirement :)

3. GoTeamScotch
    December 30th, 2013 at 09:02 | #4

@BuZz

Gotcha, I see. It just makes me think I missed a version, like a super-secret version that has all the goodies users have been dreaming of. Version 3.4 has full PlayStation 2 emulation, USB 2.0 support and Netflix streaming… but was all taken out by the time v3.5 came around. haha

It’ll be a sad day when Xbmc development for og Xbox lays to rest. As a teen, tinkering with the Xbox and Xbmc was like the gateway drug which lead to a lot of other tinkering which helped lead me to the career I’m in now. I’m not ready to feel old yet so I hope there are many more years to come!

4. Ron
    December 30th, 2013 at 11:05 | #5

@BuZz
    Awesome work!, my only wish is i could find a decent enough walkthrough on how to compile the latest builds, ive only ever compiled source on Linux and even then im a total novice at it, i tried to follow one for Windows (in a vm) but couldnt get hold of all the tools i needed, so im stuck using a shakey 3.3.3 binary build *sob*

5. Dom DXecutioner
    December 30th, 2013 at 16:13 | #6

Dang BuZz, you’re the man!

And what’s this about retirement!? If you do retired, we will hunt your dreams and turn them into nightmares! We will hide all the Latinas in the world! LOL

Either way, many thanks for all the countless hours of hard work and sleepless nights.

6. Darknior
    December 30th, 2013 at 17:07 | #7

Thanks a lot for this new release :D

7. whufclee
    December 30th, 2013 at 17:14 | #8

Much thanks buzz, once again truly outstanding work. I’ve been watching the changes to the code and you’ve certainly been a very busy boy, we’re very lucky to have you. Have yourself a well earned break mate and may 2014 be a fun filled on for everyone here :)

8. Josef Stalin
    December 30th, 2013 at 18:23 | #9

Thankzzz!

Happy New Year Folks !

9. Floydthebarber
    December 31st, 2013 at 00:32 | #10

Thanks so much for this Buzz. I use my Xbox everyday, and if it wasn’t for Xbmc4xbox I’m not sure that I would.

10. The Cliggster
    December 31st, 2013 at 07:02 | #11
  11. Yaniv
    December 31st, 2013 at 12:11 | #12

Happy holiday! thanks for your hard work! :)

12. pissed
    December 31st, 2013 at 20:10 | #13

Download? Torrent? Usenet? WHERE!? have only linux on nb…

How compile under Linux?
    Mono works?

• BuZz
      January 1st, 2014 at 09:43 | #14

You can find binary builds from 3rd parties if you look around the net. you can’t compile under linux. I recommend using the forum for discussion. thanks.

13. Dan Dar3
    January 1st, 2014 at 19:07 | #15

Thanks Buzz, great work! Happy New Year :-)

14. psychotron
    January 1st, 2014 at 20:29 | #16

Buzz,,… Thanks for that extra hard work!! I am sure everyone who loves xbox 1 appreciates that and congratulations getting the python updated!! Thank you.

15. whufclee
    January 1st, 2014 at 20:44 | #17

Every time there is a release some users seem to struggle to find where to download from and seem to think they need to compile it. A simple search on the forum will lead you to pre-compiled builds and if you still struggle to find it I’ve even shown how to locate these builds in one of my videos on http://www.totalxbmc.tv (the FTP video). Once again thanks buzz, keep up the great work :-)

16. ISTHAROS
    January 7th, 2014 at 02:27 | #18

HEY,I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR JOB, XBMC IS THE PROGRAM THAT I USE ALMOST EVERYDAY,IT ALLOWS ME TO WATCH MY FAVORITE SERIES,I HOPE THE NEW CODEC UPDATES SUPORTS .MKV HIGH DEFINITION VIDEO AND MP4 HD VIDEO TOO,THANKS AND KEEP ON DOING IT PLEASE

17. Geeba
    January 7th, 2014 at 22:02 | #19

Much appreciated!

18. RextheC
    January 8th, 2014 at 18:47 | #20

Servus and – First to all of you
    Happy New Year.
    Hope the project still goes on for the next 10 years…
    THANKS A LOT again for your awesome work.

19. Yatti420
    January 8th, 2014 at 23:18 | #21

Keep up the good work!..

20. SoulSoulero
    January 8th, 2014 at 23:51 | #22

What a crappy ass build? 99% of the moves just hang, when you try and play a movie. Both builds have this problem…..HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLA WEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKK!!!!

21. BuZz
    January 8th, 2014 at 23:56 | #23

@SoulSoulero
    post a debug log and get help on the forum ?

Good to know our efforts are appreciated… *roll eyes*

22. Blade
    January 9th, 2014 at 14:22 | #24

Huh! Interesting how some idiots can’t code worth of shit, lack intelligence, do not contribute in any way, shape or form, and are utterly useless; yet they use the “FREE” software and still talk shit! Some mathafuk*s are always tryin’ to skate uphill!

This is an excellent release; looks like lots of work in porting the python 2.7; enhanced and useful skin engine additions.

Thanks for your dedication and willingness to work on the project… your time is appreciated. I would have quit a long time ago; especially when you read stupid comments from uneducated worthless trolls.

23. cones
    January 9th, 2014 at 21:22 | #25

I can’t figure this out anywhere is 3.3 based on frodo, and is 3.5 going to based on gotham?
    Also thanks for all the work, i’ve just started to use this recently.

• BuZz
      January 9th, 2014 at 21:40 | #26

xbmc4xbox is not based on any specific xbmc release. It is a completely independent project.

24. cones
    January 9th, 2014 at 23:18 | #27

@BuZz
    Ok thanks, that makes sense now.

25. mrmajikbus45
    January 10th, 2014 at 02:57 | #28

Yo, this shit is whack yo! lol, pathetic. People talking trash like that don’t have a clue what the hell they are doing anyway BuZz. Keep working on the project, it’s impressive as 3.3.3, but 3.5 beta is pretty fucking sweet. Keep coding you British bastard. :)

26. a_man
    January 17th, 2014 at 21:26 | #29

On the Programs/Game tab. Where is the add source option? I cant see it anywhere.

Other then that Great work! The UI is impressive and much easier.

• BuZz
      January 20th, 2014 at 14:55 | #30

go directly to main programs tab and you should see it. Otherwise ask on the forum.

27. istharos
    January 20th, 2014 at 14:23 | #31

SORRY,BUT I CANT STILL PLAY MP4 HD AND MKV HD

• BuZz
      January 20th, 2014 at 14:56 | #32

it is an Xbox 1 with a 700mhz CPU. It will never play HD video with codecs such as h264 etc (MP$ and MKV are containers btw). You can play 720p video is specially converted to a codec the xbox can handle.

WP-SpamFree by Pole Position Marketing