Home > News > Good news – Paypal account restored.

Good news – Paypal account restored.

January 9th, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

Good news – the Paypal account is restored.

I would like to think that the big social media fuss wasn’t necessary and this would have been happily resolved quickly anyhow, but I somehow think it might have been more to do with the large discussion on reddit, all the Tweets, and the 220,000+ hits we had on the blog post. I am happy though about the outcome :)

Thanks to everyone for their support.

Here is the email.

Dear Julian Wills ,

Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding the recent limitation of your
PayPal account.

We have further reviewed your case and determined that your account is
currently not in violation of our Acceptable Use Policy. As such, the
limitation on your account has been lifted.

We sincerely appreciate your business and offer our apologies for any
inconvenience this disruption in service may have caused.

In the future, if you have any questions regarding what items are
prohibited under PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy, please see the following
URL for the complete text:

Again, we thank you for your cooperation and understanding in resolving
this matter and appreciate the fact that you chose PayPal to accept
payments for your business. If you have any further questions, please
contact the PayPal Brand Risk Management Department at euaup@paypal.co.uk.

Sincerely,
Zoe
PayPal, Brand Risk Management

Categories: News Tags:
  1. Juan Blanco
    January 9th, 2013 at 07:40 | #1

Shame that happened in the first place.

2. Alonzo
    January 9th, 2013 at 07:54 | #2

I still think you should choose a different service. Paypal is crap.

• BuZz
      January 9th, 2013 at 07:57 | #3

I will be looking at other possible options, but after a sleep Zzzz :)

3. Jack
    January 9th, 2013 at 08:17 | #4

I like how they still referred you to their acceptable use policy just in case you have questions about what’s not acceptable. Yeah, ok!

4. Andy
    January 9th, 2013 at 09:15 | #5

I like “your account is currently not in violation of our Acceptable Use Policy”. Almost says ‘we reserve the right to bother you again another day’. ;)

5. dave
    January 9th, 2013 at 09:25 | #6

So, as usual, no actual explanation as to why they decided to disrupt your service? I wish someone was in the position to be able to hold these assholes feet to the fire and make them explain and at the very least apologize for this kind of needless bullshit.

Sadly no one dependent on their services can do that without getting literally fucked.

6. Rob
    January 9th, 2013 at 09:38 | #7

Nah they wouldn’t have fixed it without all the fuss. They are an appalling company to deal with.

7. kozz
    January 9th, 2013 at 12:06 | #8

This is good news, unfortunate it happened at all. They probably hired some rookies with a hard-on for enforcing their Acceptable use polcies, must be apple fan boys or something :-b

8. dyl
    January 9th, 2013 at 12:18 | #9

Zoe’s from “brand risk management” not the AUP team? I think the only reason things worked out for you is because you made the front page of reddit.

Which is a shame.

9. idef1x
    January 9th, 2013 at 12:43 | #10

@dave
    Everyone should just stop using paypal. THAT sends the right message to them..
    Too bad that most donations via the internet is via paypal..I’d like to donate to some projects, but refuse to use paypal for that. Creditcard is also not an option for a lot off people

10. Wujek_Marcin
    January 9th, 2013 at 13:11 | #11

@dyl You can ever know… ;-)

11. JustAnotherUser
    January 9th, 2013 at 14:08 | #12

Dyl’s comment points out the MOST IMPORTANT part of this incident. This was email was from Paypal’s “Brand Risk Management” team. This crap was fixed because it exploded on Reddit, NOT because Paypal was necessarily trying to do the right thing.

Don’t forget:

1. Paypal never specified what part of their AUP policy had been violated.

2. The account was supposed to be PERMANENTLY limited and NO APPEAL would be considered.

3. This has happened to other customers that also apparently hadn’t actually done anything wrong.

There’s been many good reasons to avoid Paypal and this latest incident (of many high profile incidents) is just another reminder. Years ago, I had a similar incident happen. Once I got my money back, I left Paypal forever. I was very, very lucky that I had done certain things ahead of time as a precaution and it didn’t ruin me financially. I will NEVER use them again.

12. benD
    January 9th, 2013 at 17:07 | #13

@dyl
    I think “brand risk management” _is_ the AUP. See what she wrote:

“… contact the PayPal Brand Risk Management Department at euaup@paypal.co.uk

13. Smiff
    January 9th, 2013 at 23:13 | #14

PP has got to be the most Orwellian company i know of.

…on the upside Buzz, you must have got many more donations because of this, plus a nice reminder of how very popular this project still is! Well handled.

Now.. could you please help me stop my xbox freezing so much ;)

• BuZz
      January 10th, 2013 at 00:38 | #15

No new donations yet :) I will be happy to fix your issues, but I will be looking at iplayer plugin next which I think you are also keen for me to fix ;-) cheers

14. Jake
    January 10th, 2013 at 23:18 | #16

Get off PayPal as quick as you can.

15. thepitt
    January 13th, 2013 at 05:24 | #17

Paypal is notorious for revoking accounts and seizing funds of console modification related websites. I’m very surprised they unfroze your account.

Also, all those policies about getting your frozen funds is hogwash. Once they close your account you’ll never see them again.

thepitt

16. Bret Linden
    January 28th, 2013 at 18:01 | #18

I am pleasantly surprised, shocked is more like it, that PayPal eventually did the right thing. Usually, they, eBay (same people, I think), Craigslist, even Microsoft, whatever…they’ve become too powerful, and hence just do whatever it is they want to do, regardless of whether or not it is ethical, or even complies with good-old-fashioned common sense.

I agree with the other folks advising you to get off of PayPal, but to be honest I can’t really think of a viable alternative.

WP-SpamFree by Pole Position Marketing